PDA

View Full Version : Steve Wall Lumber

John Durscher
03-14-2007, 5:40 PM
I am in the process of making some cabinets & mantle for my house. I had just run through the last of my quarter sawn white oak. I can only pick up wood on the weekends, and the next few are busy so I decided to try the internet. Last Friday morning I ordered a couple of "UPS Bundles" from Steve Wall Lumber. I ordered 1 bundle of 4/4 and 1 bundle of 5/4 quarter sawn white oak. The person on the other end of the phone was very pleasant and by Tuesday evening I had two seventy pound boxes of wood at my front door.

The wood arrived intact and was surfaced on both sides and was as straight as I seem to be able to make it. There were still some milling marks on some of the boards, but I was planning on running them through my thickness planer anyway.

The 4/4 lumber was in 3 to 4 food lengths, and pretty much all of it was 4 to six inches wide.

The 5/4 lumber was mostly 4 foot lengths and up to 8 or so inches wide.

In any case, I am very pleased with their service. Just having the lumber delivered and surfaced straight saved me several hours. I'll definitely be ordering from them again.

Disclaimer - I am not affiliated with Steve Wall lumber in any way. Just figured I would share my good experience with them.

John

John Young
03-14-2007, 6:28 PM
I shop at Wall Lumber for a majority of my wood needs. They are about 30 minutes drive from home. So, I have the luxury of hand picking my boards. But, I have been in the shipping side of the warehouse many times and have seen the exceptional quality of wood they ship out. The people working are great and very attentive to the customers.

I had a work associate that would drive from Ohio to North Carolina on business in his own truck. On his way back to Ohio he would always stop at Wall lumber to pick up some wood.

Chris Barton
03-14-2007, 7:22 PM
I buy almost all of my hardwoods from Steve. I travel as part of my job and regularly drive to Mayodan to combine both lumber runs and work and it's well worth it. Steve and his crew are the best!

Robert Strasser
03-14-2007, 8:00 PM
I live in Virginia so it's about 100 miles one way to Wall Lumber. I've only gone once to get 150 bd ft of red oak and 100 bd ft of soft maple. All the lumber was supposed to be select. But, my experience is mixed. I had 66 percent waste on two boards. These were boards 12 foot long and 6 to 8 inches wide. I also had it straight edged. To put a straight edge on they had to plane it. The planing process left huge snipe marks on many of the boards. I had to be careful when I planed these boards to final thickness to make sure I got a true 3/4 thick at the ends. I've not gone through all the wood I got from them, but I think I might get 70% usage out of the wood. I just have to watch our for bad spots and adjust my cutting accordingly. This adds time and makes it harder to match glue-ups for doors and panels.

Service was fast and friendly. I had phoned in my order a few days before and it was waiting for me.

In summary, Wall Lumber is better than going to Lowes in terms of price and quality. They also have a great selection of other hardwoods to choose from. And some really great plywood... when they have it. They don't always have a large supply of it. But the outside veneer looked at least a 1/32nd inch thick. Much, much better than the see-through stuff I bought from a cabinet shop.

John Daugherty
03-14-2007, 8:41 PM
I ordered several sheets of ply from walls. Very nice people and great service.

Don Bullock
03-14-2007, 9:21 PM
That's great information. I'll kee them in mind, but I'm all the way out in California. I wonder what the shipping would be. Perhaps too much.

John Timberlake
03-14-2007, 9:26 PM
My only experience with Wall Lumber was some mahogany "cut offs". These were 4"x4"x42", 3"x3"x42" and 2.5" thick material. All was very good quality, actually a little oversized and nice color. I used some of it for a four poster bed and some for ball and claw feet. Great service and reasonable shipping costs using a common carrier.

Jim Tobias
03-14-2007, 10:29 PM
I've sung their praises before so this is not new. Just another satisfied customer. I drive there on occasion (1 hour and 15 minutes, but well worth it. I also have ordered some by phone an dhad it shipped and the quality never varies for me.

Good people and good wood at good prices!!!

Jim

Bryan Somers
03-14-2007, 10:40 PM
I havent been there yet but lots of people speak very highly of them great service and good prices too.

Mike Wilkins
03-15-2007, 10:30 AM
I ordered from them while living in GA 2 times, and was very pleased with what was sent. Living in NC now, and going there is extremely convenient since the inlaws live in Madison (neighboring town).
Great folks to deal with also.

Roy Shaw
10-20-2008, 7:43 AM
But, my experience is mixed. I had 66 percent waste on two boards.

My experience was also "mixed". I ordered the internet pack of quartersawn white oak and only about 50% was usable. It looked like scrap edges of good quartersawn boards. About half was sap wood and not really quatersawn. I don't think I got full width out of any of the dozen or so boards in the pack.

I used it, but I don't think internet wood buying is for me.

Jeffrey Makiel
10-20-2008, 8:06 AM
This post is an oldie. :)

Buying wood and sheet goods is a fussy thing for me. As a hobbyist, it's not about production and requiring a lot of stock. If I cannot see it first, or be able to sort thru the lumber yard's stock, then I won't buy it. Having said that, I also pay higher prices, but that's understandable.

On the other hand, a lot of hardwood dealers have disappeared in my area over the years. I may be changing my tune one of these days.

-Jeff :)

Mike Wilkins
10-20-2008, 11:09 AM
I have had lumber shipped to me when I lived in south Georgia from Wall, and it was great in quality and of uniform thickness. I have since moved back to NC, and it just so happens that my in-laws live in the same area. Great folks to deal with, great selection, pricing is good and no, I am not affiliated with them. Just a happy customer.

Robert Parrish
10-20-2008, 11:30 AM
I have been buying from Steve since he first started in the business and have never had a problem. I lived in Virginia before moving to Florida and have continued to buy from him. The only problem now is the fuel surcharge from the trucking companies. I pay about 1/3 of the price of the wood for shipping. They do a great job packing their plywood.

David Keller NC
10-20-2008, 12:35 PM
I've also bought quite a bit of lumber from Steve. Nice guy, good place, and very low prices because he doesn't maintain a store front. That said, though, sometimes he has very low stock in a particular species, and they're always going to try to fill a customer's needs, so there may not be a lot to pick through. When I was last there in June, I was able to get superb soft maple for a bench, and somre really nice (and hard to find) Eastern White Pine in 16/4. However, their butternut stock was very low and picked through, so what I was able to get wasn't all that great.

I'd suspect that if you asked Steve the right questions on the phone, he's an honest joe and will tell you if the selection isn't too good for a particular species at the moment and might tell you to wait a couple of weeks for more to come in.