PDA

View Full Version : Detail Sanders

Tom Peterson
12-16-2003, 9:22 PM
The LOML would like me to procure a detail sander for her for finishing and re-finishing work. Does anyone have any backgroud with the Fein Multimaster system or others?

Jim DeLaney
12-16-2003, 9:31 PM
I've had the Ryobi (a POS), a Bosch ((better, but not great) and have had the Fein for about the past five years. It's a great tool, and can be very versatile with the (albeit fairly expensive) variety of cutters, scrapers, and blades available.

Skip the others. Get the Fein.

Gene Collison
12-16-2003, 9:59 PM
I've had the Ryobi (a POS), a Bosch ((better, but not great) and have had the Fein for about the past five years. It's a great tool, and can be very versatile with the (albeit fairly expensive) variety of cutters, scrapers, and blades available.

Skip the others. Get the Fein.
Jim,

Would you buy the Fein VS version or do you think the fixed speed flat out version would be adequate.

Gene

Jim DeLaney
12-16-2003, 11:11 PM
Jim,

Would you buy the Fein VS version or do you think the fixed speed flat out version would be adequate.

Gene

Gene,
I have the variable speed model, and do find that I vary the speed a lot. The VS feature is especially useful with the accessory blades and saws, but also comes in handy when sanding.. BTW, as a sander, it's more aggressive than you'd expect. With one of the coarser papers, it'll really remove some stock in a hurry - sometimes too much if you're not careful...

Steve Roxberg
12-17-2003, 12:24 AM
Buy the Fien and never look back. I have the variable speed model, vary it a lot. I will be picking up the sanding profiles as soon as possible.

I've used this tool on more jobs. The saw blades are awesome I use them to flush cut all sorts of items.

Festool sells one, I believe, but I haven't seen it.

Charles McKinley
12-17-2003, 12:14 PM
The Fien is a great tool. I like mine a lot. I love the saws. It is especially good for cutting fiberglass sheets the dust does not go flying every where.

Chris Padilla
12-17-2003, 12:20 PM
The Fien is a great tool. I like mine a lot. I love the saws. It is especially good for cutting fiberglass sheets the dust does not go flying every where.

Anyone try or play with that Craftsman detail sander? I'm not sure if I have the name right but it is the one with the 3 circular heads that move independent of each other. It looks good for sanding contours or coves or even a wooden ball, ballister knob perhaps. Maybe it is good for bowls?

Chris