View Full Version : How to duplicate specific sign

Scott Shepherd
03-14-2007, 3:09 PM
We don't have a vinyl cutter, so that's the problem from the start.

We have a customer who's currently placing 90% of their business with us and everything's going just fine. However, the remaining 10% that they don't give us is due to the fact that we decline it. I'd like to stop declining it but it's in an area I know nothing about.

The sign frames are already made and installed and the signs just need to be updated from time to time.

The sign frames are plastic and several layers and have a clear window on the front, and a thin area to slide in the informational sign.

Right now, it's a heavy stock piece of gloss black paper with the information being in silver/mirror text on the gloss black paper. When you slip it into the sign, you get a nice bright, mirror like set of letters.

Very simple stuff.

Any way I can accomplish this with the laser? Thought about trying out the foils and kiss cutting them. Not sure it'd be worth doing that way or not.

It's not a ton of business, but we'd love to stop them from even picking up the phone to order from the other place. Of course we can always sub it out, but I'd rather be able to do it here and do it quickly than place it in someone elses hands and have to wait.

David Lavaneri
03-14-2007, 3:17 PM

You may find a way to cut the lettering yourself, but I'd recommend establishing a relationship with a local vinyl-cutting shop.

Shouldn't be an expensive job and will free your time up for more profitable ventures.

In the end, your customer won't care that you're outsourcing that part of the job. They just enjoy the one-stop shopping that you've provided.

No need to stop now. :-)

Who knows? The sign shop may need some of your services.

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri

Mike Hood
03-14-2007, 3:32 PM
I'd say talk to Sign Warehouse and buy an inexpensive vinyl cutter. It's an excellent compliment to a laser and my 24" Lynx only set me back $700 or so. Great machine and fun to have around.

Rodne Gold
03-14-2007, 3:39 PM
Actually , the shiny "vinyl" is one of the things that laser kiss cut well cos 99% of them are polyester based.
You can do it in house easily. In sign vinyl , if it doesnt stretch , its not pvc and generally safe to kiss cut.
You can use the cheapest vinyl too as the sign seems to be very much temporary.

Joe Pelonio
03-14-2007, 5:24 PM
All good suggestions given. You would have to buy the metallized poly mirror from a sign shop or sign supply, but it is safe to cut by laser. You would also need transfer tape to apply it to the black.

It's always best to keep all of the business you can even if you sub it out. In this case, if their vinyl place buys a laser you could lose everything to them.

See my previous post on a "less expensive" plotter, that seems to be a good value.

Scott Shepherd
03-14-2007, 6:36 PM
Thanks for the help. An inexpensive plotter is on the short list of things we need to pick up for sure. It's on the top 5 list. Hopefully we'll get to it soon.