PDA

View Full Version : Leigh vs. ???

John Miliunas
12-16-2003, 2:41 PM
After posting my inquiry about the Leigh dovetail jig, one of our illustrious members was kind enough to PM me about another option to consider, that being the WoodRat. Considerably more expensive on the initial outlay, but more useful right "out of the box", as it were. Others suggested Akeda, though one may have a hard time acquiring and/or upgrading or maintaining it. There are others, inlcuding the Katie jig, PC Omni, etc...

What do the bulk of you folks use? For those of you who saw my initial post, I am *really* trying to stay away from hand-cutting the dovetails, at least, for now. Even though it wouldn't be as frequent, I can also see the need for dovetails longer than 12 or 16", as in hope chests and such. What say you, oh learned woodworkers? :cool:

Scott Coffelt
12-16-2003, 3:29 PM
I think this will be much like any other manufacturer discussion, but I have the Leigh. When I bought it I looked at a couple of key factors. (1) Ability to cut through DTs (2) being able to have adjustable widths(3) Flexibility to grow if desired in the future (4) 24" wide (5) I wanted to move the tool not the wood.

I already had a jig to do have blind so I did not require. I looked at Incra, Jointech, PC, Leigh, etc. Akeda was not out then. The Leigh seemed to be the best (at that time) for meeting my needs. Though I have not had a project requiring it, I do have some plans and will use it more soon. I still have the Incra for the table for smaller projects, a Jet for half blind. Others will have mixed feelings on which is best. Without actually being able to test all and use for all your needs, it may be hard to make the ultimate decision, but I am happy with my choice and it still seems to get high marks.

Good luck on your search. Its always fun to buy new tools.

Jim Becker
12-16-2003, 4:29 PM
I think that if the Akeda had been available when I bought my Leigh (it wasn't) I would have still bought the Leigh. I like the total flexibility in spacing and the wider, 24" capacity. The PC Omnijig can be outfitted for through dovetails, as well as the half-blinds it does out of the box, but at a considerable cost...and you still have basically fixed spacing. Keller and Katie are great as long as you only want to do through dovetails, but they do have the advantage of unlimited width.

Yup...'happy with my Leigh.

Dave Arbuckle
12-16-2003, 4:34 PM
Jim wrote: The PC Omnijig can be outfitted for through dovetails...and you still have basically fixed spacing.

Fixed on the half-blinds, Jim. The Omni through template is variable spaced, like the D4. You ain't at all wrong that Omni is more expensive.

I have D4, Incra, and Stots. You'd think I was a dovetail junky or something. ;)

Dave
(tries "quick reply", likes it. Thanks, Aaron! :))

Jim Becker
12-16-2003, 4:42 PM
Fixed on the half-blinds, Jim. The Omni through template is variable spaced, like the D4. You ain't at all wrong that Omni is more expensive.

Thanks, Dave. I really didn't know that! I guess I missed it in the WOOD review a few months ago.

Bob Lasley
12-16-2003, 5:01 PM
John,

I have the Akeda and am quite satisfied with it. Yes, the extra width of the Leigh is nice, but I have not needed it so far. I think the ease of learning to use the Akeda was a big factor in my decision. I was making tight fitting through dovetails within 30 minutes of taking it out of the box. HB dovetails are not any harder. I don't think you could go wrong with the Leigh or the Akeda.

Bob

Tom Hintz
12-16-2003, 6:48 PM
When I wanted to buy a dovetail jig I looked at everything I could find on the market and found the Leigh to be the only one that did everything I wanted. Now after using it for a couple of years I am even more conivinced it was the right one for me. Being able to make thorugh or half-blinds with any spacing I want, the capacity, ease of use and qkuality of the jig itself represent a combination of qualities I just could not find anywhere else.
It is pricey, but if you add up what it takes to match it's capabilities, that cost looks way more reasonable.
Besides, His Normness has one.

Leonard
12-16-2003, 7:46 PM
I have the leigh jig.

Tom Peterson
12-16-2003, 9:16 PM
John, Norm uses a Leigh. If you have deep pockets and a long project list and see your self doing fancy work go with it or the OMNI. I felt the Akeda was good enough for my budget and my projects. Mostly drawers and small cases. there are quite a few comparison reviews on the jigs on the internet. Just do a Google search on AKEDA or Leigh and then crack open your wallet and don't look back

Jim Stastny
12-16-2003, 9:38 PM
I have the Leigh. I'm not only satisfied with it but wish I could live up to its potential :)

Steve Roxberg
12-17-2003, 12:29 AM
I have the Leigh. I'm not only satisfied with it but wish I could live up to its potential :)

I own the Keller system, both the 1500 and the 1601 and love them, find them easy to use, and have faked half blinds with them.

My only problem with the Akeda is that you have no adjustment for fit except to change router bits. They sell router bits in oversized and undersized, but they are the only ones. I'm not aware of another supplier.

The Leigh is very cool, and I've often wanted one.

The Woodrat has also been on my list, wouldn't have to buy the Leigh FMT and the Leigh dove tail, and could do all sorts of things.

I'm not help, I'm confused as well.

Buy them all. ;)

Dave Avery
12-17-2003, 7:31 AM
John,

Another happy Akeda user..... perfect joints from a mechanically disinclined person, albeit in more than the 30 minutes that it took Bob. If you can find one, can live with 1/8" spacing, and don't need 24", it's hard to go wrong. In addition, the dust collection is very good. Dave.

Dominic Greco
12-17-2003, 7:38 AM
I have the Leigh Jig and really like it. I liked the variable width dovevtail spacing, and the fact that I can dovetail wide boards. Once I got used to it's operation, I found myself dovetailing everything in sight.

If it wasn't for the fact that the finger joint accessory was so darn expensive, I'd probably buy that to compliment this jig!

John Miliunas
12-17-2003, 8:13 AM
Well then...Looks like maybe I should've ran a poll with this thread! But, I think I know the results, even without the poll! Looks like it might be time to start saving my shekels for the Leigh, although I still reserve the right to change my mind! :D I do have a request in to WoodRat for their documentation and demo video. Insofar as tools go, I've finally hit that point in my WW endeavors, in which, whenever I can help it, I only want to do it once. I'm not going to fool myself into thinking this will happen 100% of the time, but I will give it my best shot. In the long run, I think a guy/gal is better off. As usual, you folks have come through with fantastic recommendations and insights! Time to put the piggy bank in a very prominent spot and start feeding it! Thanks guys! :cool:

Mark Valsi
12-17-2003, 10:37 AM
Well, what ever you do, don't make FAKE dove tails, you'll get an ear full like i did !!

I have the Katie Jig, the Keller Journeyman, and the Incra.

The Keller and Katie are similar, but the Katie is for smaller stuff. I still have not got "perfect" dovetails from the Katie.

The Keller is nice and easy !!

The Incra is much more flexible, and you can do the fancy dove tails on it as well.

And, for you purists, I'm even trying to cut a few by hand !!!

Ed Falis
12-17-2003, 9:51 PM
I've got the WoodRat. Can't speak to the Leigh or Akeda, but plenty of other folks have.

I like the Rat's flexibility. I consider it a perfect complement to my router table. The main thing about it is that there are a lot of different ways of doing things with it, and a lot of things you can do with it that you have to think of first. Personally, I like it that way.

My first test for it was the gear box in Ian Kirby's "Making Joints". But I changed the plan so that instead of a slab top, I made a raised panel (raising it with a straight bit) set in a frame joined by mortice and tenon, and I used through dovetails instead of box joints (which are just too easy with this thing). Also cut the grooves to hold the bottom in place. It all went very nicely. Wasn't any kind of advanced work, but it did serve to get a feel for what it can do.

I have no regrets buying it. And their skinny HSS dovetail bits make a very nice set of tails. (Note that you can use any dovetail bits with it, as it's not template based).

- Ed