PDA

View Full Version : Tapcon screw question

rodney mitchell
03-14-2007, 10:00 AM
I am having to use some tapcon concrete screws which take a 5/32 pilot hole. The masonry bit lasted for 2 holes and then nothing. Did I get it too hot maybe? I don't have a hammer drill, maybe that is the problem. I really don't relish buying another of these at 6 dollars a pop and it lasting for 2 holes only. Help?? Thanks.....

Rodney

Doug Shepard
03-14-2007, 10:10 AM
I only have about 6 Tapcon screws worth of experience under my belt, but I do think the lack of a hammer drill is your problem. I tried a regular drill and got nowhere fast. Once I dug out the hammer drill the holes went in much easier.

Carroll Courtney
03-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Maybe to many rpm's.And when drilling pour alittle water in the hole and don't press down to hard.That should help.

Michael Lutz
03-14-2007, 10:23 AM
If you want to get it done quickly with out going through multiple bits, use a hammer drill. If it is only occaisional use, there are some available for less than 50 bucks at the big boxes. I looked at it as an opportunity to get a hammerdrill.:D

Mike

Hal Flynt
03-14-2007, 10:28 AM
You may have hit a really hard part of a concrete block or a stone in concrete.

Like mentioned, a hammer drill really helps in those instances. I picked up one for $20 at a cheap Chinese tool sale and all it does is Tapcon holes.

Jim C Bradley
03-14-2007, 10:29 AM
If this is a one shot deal it sounds like an opposrtunity for a HF throw away hammer drill. I bought a $19 HF recip saw for a one time demolition job in the garage and the thing still runs so I got my monies worth.

rodney mitchell
03-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the answers, I think the lack of a hammer drill is my problem. Looks like a trip to HF.

Thanks again...........Rodney

Gary Herrmann
03-14-2007, 12:07 PM
How old is your house? Mine was built in 54 - before computerized concrete mixes and has the hardest concrete walls in the basement I've ever come across. I've burned through several tapcon bits putting up my wood rack with a 1/2" corded hammer drill.

When I put new basement windows in 8 years ago, a friend wanted to show off his new Dewalt cordless 18v hammerdrill. Luckily it was brand new because he about ruined the thing helping me with one window.

Kyle Kraft
03-14-2007, 12:31 PM
We just got a sweeeeeeet Hilti cordless hammer drill with the lithium ion batteries....whoa nelly!!!! For those of you who aren't familiar with Hilti, think of it as a red Festool, and go buy one!!

Jeffrey Makiel
03-14-2007, 12:46 PM
I second Gary's thoughts. The concrete in my house is harder than my luck these days.

A hammer drill is very helpful but also use a low rpm. Lastly, the hole must be deeper than the screws length. No cheating is allowed.

-Jeff :)

Paul Kinneberg
03-14-2007, 12:49 PM
I bought a Black & Decker at HD for $39 just for that purpose and it worked very well.

Dennis Putnam
03-14-2007, 1:17 PM
Keeping the bit cool is the key. Even without a hammer drill I generally get dozens of holes with each bit (assuming a quality bit not the cheap junk that comes in the Tapcon blister pack). When I drill masonary I have a spray bottle in one hand. As I drill I am constantly spraying the hole and frequently pull the bit out into the mist to keep the carbide tip cool. Its messy but a little cleanup after is cheaper then buying bits.

Paul Canaris
03-14-2007, 1:27 PM
Went through a bit that did about three holes with a standard drill before dulling. Decided at that point that it was time to buy a Hammer Drill. New bit was able to do many more holes. Suggest using water as a lubricant as this will extend it's life a bit. Also, if I recall from what I read years ago, conrcete hits it peak hardness at around 25 to 30 years of age? So concrete in this age range can be a real bear from personal experience.

Eric Mims
03-14-2007, 1:46 PM
yea, don't discount the hardness of the concrete. We had problems drilling through our office floor (50+ year old slab) even with a new bit and a good hammer drill. We made it but it was super hard. All other times I've drilled slabs, CMU, etc have been no problem.

Ryan Myers
03-14-2007, 2:10 PM
I have a Bosch Bulldog (SDS), similiar product to a Hilti (for less money). This drill is a workhorse. I haven't found any concrete/brick material that it won't tackle with ease. It drills prestressed concrete and hard red brick like butter. It works so much better than my Milwaukee cordless hammerdrill or any other non-sds hammerdrill I have ever used. Probably not worthwhile for a few holes, but if you think you will ever need to drill more holes again I would consider spending the extra money on an SDS style hammerdrill. You won't be disappointed.

rodney mitchell
03-14-2007, 4:02 PM
Well my house is about 20 years old, so I am sure that is part of the problem.

Rodney

skip coyne
03-14-2007, 5:07 PM
I use them a lot , the tapcon bits are crapp in my opion , last time I needed one I went over and foudn the same size boch bits for about the same money

they have reaally held up compared to the tapcon bits

I dont think age of th econcrete is a issue , our house is 37 years old

Jason Roehl
03-14-2007, 5:10 PM
After hundreds of holes in concrete and other masonry, I can say that whether it's drills or bits, you get what you pay for. I've had cheap bits that barely got through one hole, and then I paid much more for a bit that lasted dozens of holes. A good indicator is the thickness of the carbide on the tip. The same goes for drills. I had a $70 Crapsman that lasted only a few dozen holes before it ate a washer in the gearcase. It was replaced by a reconditioned Milwaukee (~$180 new at the time, paid $130 for recon). At this point, I think that drill has had about half the smoke let out of the motor, but it's still going. I also noticed that it was 10x faster drilling. If drilling vertically, I've also found it helps to occasionally pull the bit out of the hole, keeping the motor running--it cools it some and helps clear dust.

If you REALLY want to get the job done, a spline-drive rotary hammer is the way...

Ed Costello
03-14-2007, 5:39 PM
I have drilled thousands of holes in concrete. I do it for a living. The post above says it all. You get what you pay for. Bits AND hammer drills. Also, worn bits may still drill a hole but the diameter shrinks with wear. Tap cons will break if the hole is too small.

Good luck!!!

Anthony Anderson
03-14-2007, 6:47 PM
Rodney, You definately want to use a hammer drill. You can get a relatively inexpensive one. I have a B&D that I paid about $60 for, and it works great. Again, I only use it occassionally, and it has held up for me. Also you can use some water along with the hammer drill. This will save your concrete bits. Good Luck. Bill

David G Baker
03-14-2007, 7:44 PM
Another possibility. Lots concrete has re-bar in it and the Tapcon drill bits do not like steel to well. I have ruined a few by using them in a standard drill and running the drill at a high speed. They may work better at a slower speed if you don't have a hammer drill.
The mistake I always make is not drilling the hole deep enough or not getting all of the dust out of the hole and stripping or breaking the Tapcon by trying to make it go in farther.
David B

Pete Bradley
03-14-2007, 9:02 PM
The cheesiest hammer drill will be far better than a regular drill. The bit needs to fracture rather than grind the bottom of the hole. The carbide on the end of some bits is junk, so it's possible that you also need a better one.

Pete