PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Fans

Jeff Lehman
03-14-2007, 9:58 AM
I've got a job to laser cut/engrave some handheld fans (kinda like the ones the old ladies used to use in church before air-conditioning :) ). The them of the wedding is the beach and they want the fan to be shaped like a shell.

They also want the wedding party names engraved on the surface. Any recommendations for material that will cut smoothly (no burning) and give some nice contrast for the text? Since the theme is beach related, something that comes in sand or light colors would be appropriate.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Belinda Barfield
03-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Jeff,

I get scrap mat board from a local framer (and you probably do too). I typically use the back side for testing. Mat board might work in this case since it is lightweight and you could engrave on the "back" side which gives pretty decent contrast. The "front" or colored side of the mat would also look good as the back side of the fan. Mat board cuts easily as well. A big plus is that you may even be able to get it for free! :)

I do have one problem with engraving to mat, but I don't have a lot of experience and you may know a solution. The "soot" from the burn stains the matboard. Could be my settings. I have tried using low tack mask but this sometimes tears the surface of the mat when removed.

Let me know your thoughts please.

Aaron Koehl
03-14-2007, 10:39 AM
I guess marble is out of the question.

Edit: Not sure why I posted that, but it sure is a funny picture in my mind.

Belinda Barfield
03-14-2007, 11:14 AM
I guess marble is out of the question.

Edit: Not sure why I posted that, but it sure is a funny picture in my mind.

I do see the humor!

It is possible to process marble down to a weight that might be manageable, but it would be very fragile. I suppose you could then adhere the marble to a supporting substrate - maybe a veneer. I don't think we could take marble down to less than 1/8". A 4" x 6" piece of marble this thickness would weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 ounces. You could probably do the same thing with Corian and decrease the weight.

Marble fans would make quite the elegant statement though, wouldn't they?

Jeff Lehman
03-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Yeah and they would make great cutting boards or weapons too lol...

Perry Brock
03-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Have you considered a thin birch plywood? It is already close to the color you want and the darkened edge from vectoring the cutout might add to the effect. Maybe use a clear spray sealer like Krylon Crystal Clear and cut the entire fan from the birch.

Joe Pelonio
03-14-2007, 12:11 PM
There are laminates (Rowmark, IPI) that look like marble or wood, and engrave in contrasting colors that would work.

If you go for veneer use the type with the fabric back, so it's less likely to break if they actually use it as a fan.

I'll also add that matte board edges will not scorch if you first apply transfer tape.

Nancy Laird
03-14-2007, 1:48 PM
Jeff,

Try some 1/32" Finland birch ply...available from Sloans in Lebanon, TN. We make business cards and bookmarks out of it and it's pretty sturdy. It would probably make a very pretty seashell-shaped fan - just make sure if you decide to use it, you put a finish on it first.

Nancy

Mike Hood
03-14-2007, 3:46 PM
Cardstock fans would be easy to make. You could stitch cut the folds so they'd crease perfectly and then engrave them with a nice graphic. You could use some smoked acrylic for handles?

I'd avoid anything with char, as the last thing you want is some gal getting smoke dust on her dress or gloves. :eek:

Belinda Barfield
03-14-2007, 4:37 PM
I'd avoid anything with char, as the last thing you want is some gal getting smoke dust on her dress or gloves. :eek:

Mike is absolutely correct! When we get all gussied up, we don't want any dirt to spoil the effect. Women are funny that way!;)

Jeff Lehman
03-21-2007, 9:50 AM
Thank you all for your input! Just as an update, the customer has chosen a 2-ply product that has a Bamboo face and okume back. The bamboo veneer face kinda fits the beach theme and has a nice contrast when etched.

In the back of my mind, I guess I was hoping for a man-made material that would have more uniform lasering results...perhaps thin sheet of acrylic that where the edges would be smooth. The bamboo 2-ply material I am using does have a bit of charring on the edges, but it doesn't seem to rub off on white foo-foo ladies gloves :D

Belinda Barfield
03-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Congrats Jeff!

I'm glad that you and the customer came to an agreement on the material. I'm sure the fans will be beautiful. Would like to see a pic of the finished product if you don't mind, since I am not familiar with the material chosen. :)

Jeff Lehman
03-22-2007, 7:48 AM
Here is a pic of the material being used...I will try to post a picture of the fan itself when time allows.

Al Mutairi
03-22-2007, 8:10 AM
Hi Jeff,

Do you have an online Source for the bamboo wood you attached the picture of ?

Al

Jeff Lehman
03-22-2007, 8:18 AM
Al:

I don't have an online source, but the company I work for in my "normal job" sells it. The price is $2.26 a sqft...our contact info can be found at www.emcummingsveneer.com (http://www.emcummingsveneer.com)

As a lot of people on here, my laser business is a sideline for me, so I have to plug away at a "normal job". No offense intended to all you folks who do it full time :D