PDA

View Full Version : Gloat!!!!

David Spiers
03-14-2007, 7:39 AM
Finally, after a week and a half of sitting in the back of my truck, I got home from my hitch and assembled the 2hp 1642. Very impressed with the packing and fit and finish of the lathe. Loading, unloading and assembly went well. I had it sent to my work address as they had a forklift to unload it. Shipping was free. Got a price quote from Toolnut. Put the plug on and fired it up. Very quiet - even at 3200 - SWEEET!. Went back and forth between this one and the Nova DVR. Settled on this one because of price, all my major tools are jet, just about everything for the NOVA was extra. (not bashing NOVA at all) Variable speed is sweet also. Now to get it dirty!!!!!

David

http://www.penturners.org/forum/uploads/saftrep/2007314112557_1642%20lathe%201.jpg

http://www.penturners.org/forum/uploads/saftrep/2007314112624_1642%20lathe%202.jpg

http://www.penturners.org/forum/uploads/saftrep/2007314112648_1642%20lathe%203.jpg
http://www.penturners.org/forum/images/icon_blank.gif Topic http://www.penturners.org/forum/images/icon_go_right.gif (http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22666)

Jeff Myers
03-14-2007, 7:52 AM
Nice gloat!!! Can't wait to see it dirty and some turnings from that baby!!

CPeter James
03-14-2007, 8:06 AM
I am in the market for a new lathe and this is about the right size. I am also looking at the PM 3520 which is a lot more money. I want this to be the last and I can't afford the Oneway, so I thought the PM might be almost as good. I am going out to look at the machines in person in the next couple of days. Did you look at General?

CPeter

John Hart
03-14-2007, 8:14 AM
Man! That sure is pretty. I'd put it in my living room.:eek: Death would be shortly after.;)

Congratulations David! Time to rock.:)

Dale Gregory
03-14-2007, 8:49 AM
David, really nice! Did you end up getting the 220v model or 110v? Just curious was it shipped in boxes or one big crate?

Dale

Darrell Feltmate
03-14-2007, 8:59 AM
David, Very nice. Turn, turn, Turn. Let us know how it works after a few bags of shavings, eh? When would that be? Tomorrow? :-)

Bob Hampton
03-14-2007, 10:59 AM
David what is the silver tube that is coming out the back of the headstock for? Is that the vacume port they talk about? just curious as this is a lathe I am also looking at for an upgrade soon.
thanks Bob

Ken Fitzgerald
03-14-2007, 11:01 AM
David.....I had the opportunity to turn on one of those. Nice machine! Congratulations! Now get it dirty!

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2007, 11:01 AM
David that is a nice gloat. Now get it dirty.

Neal Addy
03-14-2007, 11:07 AM
I knew I heard a sucking sound out there somewhere. The vortex just got a bit deeper.

Nice machine and great gloat!

Frank Kobilsek
03-14-2007, 11:09 AM
David,
Enjoy! It will be awhile before you out grow that beautiful Miracle Whip.

CPeter, If you have a big enough chain saw and a strong enough back the PM is the way to go, but think about how often you'll exceed the 16" throw of David's new machine. Size is the opportunity. I really enjoy my 1642 but I'd love to make bigger platters. There is the decision.

Frank

Mark Pruitt
03-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Congrats, David! You'll enjoy that one for sure! I looked closely at it before taking the Mustard plunge and I have to say I came to within an inth of buying it.

I am in the market for a new lathe and this is about the right size. I am also looking at the PM 3520 which is a lot more money. I want this to be the last and I can't afford the Oneway...
Peter, if you can swing the extra $$ the PM is worth it IMHO; if not, the 1642 is a very nice machine and it has a great performance record.

David what is the silver tube that is coming out the back of the headstock for? Is that the vacume port they talk about? just curious as this is a lathe I am also looking at for an upgrade soon.
thanks Bob
Bob, that steel cylinder is used to rotate the workpiece manually. Normally you see a handwheel there, but the design called for a cylinder instead. And it does accept vacuum.

Jim Becker
03-14-2007, 11:12 AM
"Clean" gloat...now get to work!! :D :D :D

David Spiers
03-14-2007, 12:05 PM
David, really nice! Did you end up getting the 220v model or 110v? Just curious was it shipped in boxes or one big crate?

Dale

Dale,
Got the 220 - already had a 220 for my jet tablesaw so I added another junction box to the end of the line. I don't forsee using both at the same time.

Keith Burns
03-14-2007, 12:46 PM
David thats an excellent GLOAT !! Congrats !

Joe Melton
03-14-2007, 1:36 PM
Congratulations. I'd suggest you put a grill over that window, though.
Joe

Ron Journeau
03-14-2007, 1:53 PM
So very nice,David, use it well, use it safe, and use it often:)

Pete Jordan
03-14-2007, 1:55 PM
Looks like a beaut! Make sure you weigh her down!

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2007, 2:22 PM
David - congrats on the new lathe!!! I have the same model and absolutely love it! Have fun and start posting the results!

CPeter James
03-14-2007, 9:05 PM
I ordered a PM 3520 this afternoon. It was more money, but the specs looked real nice. Not a Oneway, but it should more than meet my needs. I sold some unused "toys" to pay for it. It should be here in under a month.

I will post the required photos when the time comes.

CPeter

Christopher K. Hartley
03-15-2007, 8:59 AM
Nice Iron David!! I know you are going to enjoy every minute on it. Can't wait to see it with curlies all over it and a big Bowl hanging from the chuck. I noticed the blocks under the legs, are you a pretty tall guy? I stand 6' 3 1/2" and my 1442VSK is just the right height without any help at all. Just wondering.:)

Christopher K. Hartley
03-15-2007, 9:12 AM
I ordered a PM 3520 this afternoon. It was more money, but the specs looked real nice. Not a Oneway, but it should more than meet my needs. I sold some unused "toys" to pay for it. It should be here in under a month.

I will post the required photos when the time comes.

CPeterCongrats, I know just how those moments before the plunge can be!! I'm really happy for ya! I do have to say though, "Oh no!! Another Mustard Monster!:eek: They're invading and multiplying. Andy call out the Militia!!:eek: :eek: :D

Mark Hulette
03-15-2007, 9:14 AM
Very Nice, David! Being a little partial to Jet, I understand your decision-nice machine.

Have you seen Dominic Greco's article about stabilizing his Jet? Might be of interest to you if you have not- I printed it out back when he wrote it but I'm not sure where to find it now (not sure if its here or another wwing site).

Like everyone else said, Git R Dirty!