PDA

View Full Version : pics, anything of intrest here?

Mike Putnam
03-14-2007, 7:20 AM
can anyone steer me in the right direction on this set of planes, seller is asking 65$ for all all are stanleys except small one wich is only marked made in usa. thought maybe this would be a good first set y'know learn to set up tune and use hopefully without damaging too much.

thanks for your help.
used to the types of tools that plug in but intersted n the other side... handcut dovetails first probably.

Clint Jones
03-14-2007, 12:26 PM
I would pass on them $65 is way too much. The planes look like a Stanley No.5 with the wrong lever cap, A no. 220 Stanley block plane, H101P small block plane, a newer stamped metal Stanley block plane, and a Parplus plane. I would offer $35 for just the Stanley No.5 and the No.220. The two planes will make fine users and you will learn alot tuning them. I am sure you can find someone here with the right plain metal cap:D

Jerry Palmer
03-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Can't tell a lot from the pics, a bit small to get much of an idea on the vintage of the planes. The bottom bench plane appears to be a quite modern #4 with that blue colored frog and the rather light colored wood. The top bench plane looks to be of a somewhat older vintage Jack (#5), but can't tell if that is really a low front knob or not. The Jack might be worth $50 by itself on the unamed auction site depending on vintage and actual condition. Don't know that I'd give $15 for the remainder of the lot though.

Mike Putnam
03-14-2007, 6:53 PM
thank you for your comments, much appreciated! waiting for a response from seller.

Charles Jackson III
03-15-2007, 6:54 PM
65 bucks seems like a good deal to me on all those planes.