PDA

View Full Version : Fence alignment...

peter slamp
03-13-2007, 11:37 PM
I got a new, used contractors saw today. It's a Craftsman 298762. Don't know that much about saws, but I do know it's a huge improvement over the benchtop I have been using. The entire top and wings are cast iron which seemed like a highpoint to my uneducated mind :). I can tell that sometimes when I lock down the fence the posterior end sometimes is out of alignment a bit. What is the easiest way to check the alignment of the fence before taking a cut. I'd hate to have to do this on every cut but until I can afford a better aftermarket fence, I might just to be sure. To the naked eye it looks pretty accurate most of the time.
As a second question, what is the cheapest dependable fence you guys would recommend?

p.s. does anyone have any info on this saw? No manual and doesn't show up on google. Thanks!:D

Gary Breckenridge
03-14-2007, 12:17 AM
;) I use a 2' carpenters square. The smaller ones just won't pick up a 1/2 degree error.:cool:Email the Sears parts department and tell them you need a mannual if you can't download it off the net. At least you should be able to download an exploded parts diagram.

peter slamp
03-14-2007, 12:23 AM
OK, this may sound stupid, but can you walk me through it? I thought you would need to measure the distance from the fence to the blade fore and aft to make sure it was parallel to the blade. Am I off base? Thanks!

Joe Chritz
03-14-2007, 12:55 AM
Measure carefully once and make sure the blade is parallel to the miter slots.

As long as it is then you can measure to the miter slot.

I did this for a big project before I got a decent saw. It is slow and a major pain but it does work.

Save your nickels for a great fence. I don't think I have heard of anyone being disappointed with the biesemeyer fence. A really good fence is worth every penny.

Joe

peter slamp
03-14-2007, 12:58 AM
As long as it is then you can measure to the miter slot.

Eureka! Thanks. Now why didn't I think of that. Doh!

Jim C Bradley
03-14-2007, 11:05 AM
I had a fence that was at best, questionable. Till I upgraded, I got by by setting it to what I thought was about right and then measured from the front edge of the blade to the fence and from the rear edge of the blade to the fence to see if it was straight.