PDA

View Full Version : A little Mesquite

Mike Vickery
03-13-2007, 9:40 PM
I am very happy with the piece. It is the first time I have really used power buffing and I can't believe I have gone without it. This a small core from a bigger Mesquite bowl and it is about 6x2 inches the finish is Watco. I will have to say from a technical stand point I think this is my best piece to date I like the shape and some very minor sanding marks on the base are the only flaw I can find.

This is the first piece I have finished from the big mesquite haul I posted a couple months ago.

Comments and critiques are appreciated.
I did not post a picture of the base because my signature looks like a 3rd grader attacked the bottom with a crayon, yes even worse than normal.

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2007, 9:49 PM
Mike that bowl is a beauty. You should be proud. I really like the form and finish. Nice job.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-13-2007, 9:50 PM
Mike, I'm with you. This bowl is wonderful. I love the natural flow of the form and the feel of the wood that comes through the finish. Great Job!!:D

Keith Burns
03-13-2007, 9:56 PM
Mike, it just doesn't get any better than this !!! Great job !!:) :)

Neal Addy
03-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Great form, Mike! Perfect curve. Mesquite sure buffs nice, huh?

Steve Schlumpf
03-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Very nice bowl Mike! Love the wood, form, detail work and finish! Looking forward to your next Mesquite turning!

Nancy Laird
03-13-2007, 11:28 PM
VERY pretty bowl. I like the little bit of groove detail below the rim--adds just the right "something" to the look.

Nancy

Richard Madison
03-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Mike,
You should definitely post picture of the bottom so that future collectors can tell that their piece is an authentic "Vickery". My signature is probably worse than yours. To fantasize a bit, future collectors will say "This is one of his early pieces before he hurt his thumb, and this piece is after he hurt his thumb the first time, as you can see by the change in signature. And this is one of his best and latest pieces, after he hurt the same thumb the second time. See the change in signature again".

Not suggesting that you hurt your thumb. But nothing wrong with being proud of your work AND the signature that goes with it. Just some thoughts.

Jonathon Spafford
03-14-2007, 12:03 AM
Nice bowl... beautiful wood and beautiful work... now let's see the bottom! ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-14-2007, 2:21 AM
Mike..........Very well done...form, finish and the lines are the correct and right amount of embellishment!

I'm with you....don't know what I'd do without my Beal Buffing system!

John Hart
03-14-2007, 6:50 AM
Great form on this Mike! It's one of those "perfect" bowls. Nice wood too.:)

Mark Cothren
03-14-2007, 8:35 AM
Mike, that is a very nice bowl! Love that Mesquite! I think I would have preferred the lines closer together, but that's just personal opinion/preference. They do add a very nice touch to the bowl, which has a very nice shape. Keep 'em coming!

Frank Kobilsek
03-14-2007, 8:44 AM
Good Job Mike, A classic straight forward bowl is still the best test of our craft.
Frank

Tom Sherman
03-14-2007, 3:53 PM
Mike that is a very nice piece.

Mike Vickery
03-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Thanks everyone.