PDA

View Full Version : Storing large blank question

Gary Herrmann
03-13-2007, 8:32 PM
Seeing the thread by Chris regarding his pine gloat makes me want to ask this - very nice shop, btw Chris. Can't wait to see your posts on the Robust.

I anchor sealed the all the grain faces of the curly maple I acquired. My bowl blank rack is full, so I restacked a pallet I have with the maple on the bottom.

Since this was basically a quartered log, I laid the blanks on grain rather than bark, so they wouldn't rock (and so I could restack the smaller stuff on top). Will storing them this way cause any problems - mold etc?

I do expect to turn them while they're wet. Thanks!

William Fourness
03-13-2007, 8:45 PM
Should do just fine. Make sure there is free air able to move between all sides of the blanks. Good air movent is always the key to keep mold away and stock drying. We stack pallets of chain saw non pith slabs on pallets, end seal with anchor seal and use 1x1 strips to allow air flow between layers.
Bill
Penn's Woods

Dick Strauss
03-13-2007, 8:54 PM
Gary,
I think you will eventually have mold growing if you sealed the log and put it grain side down on concrete. How long it will take is anyone's guess...

Christopher K. Hartley
03-13-2007, 9:02 PM
Gary, St. Louis can get pretty humid in the summer and that humidity is murder when it comes to mold. I really play havoc with it here in the Houston area. Williams advice is sound using air strips or spacers. I don't like stacking at all but sometimes it just can't be avoided. Thanks for the kind words. I only have a bit more than 1/2 of our double wide garage so space is at a premium and that is why I use the shelves. It also helps with the organization factor and acts as a wall to divide the total space. :)

Gary Herrmann
03-13-2007, 9:07 PM
Well, sounds like I need to cut some more stickers. I used them all up stickering a bunch of cherry boards I picked up for a large project in my son's room.

Jim Becker
03-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Yes, just sticker them with narrow stickers about 1/2" thick and wide.