PDA

View Full Version : Gloat, Glitch and Grandson

Christopher K. Hartley
03-13-2007, 6:54 PM
The LOML called me at work today to inform me that the tree trimmers were taking the giant southern pine out of our neighbors yard. I asked her to see if they would leave some big chunks for me and she asked me, "how big?" I responded, "about three feet in length". I knew the tree base was almost 30" in diameter. (Gloat) Well when I got home the cuts were considerably shorter (Glitch). Spanish is not the LOML's strong suit. Oh well, "beggars can't be choosers", so said my late mother. A little help from the Grandson and we got them all cleaned and sealed and ready for Beauty. Looks like there is some end grain turning in her future.

Mike Vickery
03-13-2007, 7:02 PM
I feel for you I get a bunch of stuff from a tree trimmers dump and they bigger piece are almost always cut way thinner than I would like. I usually use them for endgrain hollow forms. Still looks like a good haul.

John Hart
03-13-2007, 7:32 PM
Congratulations Chris!
I just love looking at your shelves.:)

Dale Gregory
03-13-2007, 7:38 PM
Wow, nice lot of wood you have in reserve! Looks like John Harts place....but organized;)

Nice haul!

Dale

Steve Schlumpf
03-13-2007, 7:42 PM
Congrats on the haul Chris!

Great to see the Grandson involved! I'm sure he'll remember helping out - makes for great memories! Have fun!

David Little
03-13-2007, 7:57 PM
Yep, great hawl. Probably just the size to try on that new Robust you have on order. I too am really inpressed by both your inventory of blanks and your organization of them, as well as the really clean looking shop. In the background must be the Jet 1442 you are selling. I'm turning on a Jet mini and would love to have the bigger lathe but will probably have to make do with the mini for a while.

Mark Pruitt
03-13-2007, 8:23 PM
For pete's sake. Those guys could have done half as much sawing and you'd be ten times happier.:( Still, that's a nice haul. Lookin' forward to seein' what you do with it.

Gary Herrmann
03-13-2007, 8:33 PM
Wow. Impressive. Very well organized shop, Chris.

John Hart
03-13-2007, 8:53 PM
....Looks like John Harts place....but organized;) ....

Ummm...What exactly are you trying to say Dale? I'm organized. I keep all my stuff in one building!....How much more organized can you get?:D

Christopher K. Hartley
03-13-2007, 9:06 PM
Ummm...What exactly are you trying to say Dale? I'm organized. I keep all my stuff in one building!....How much more organized can you get?:DYou tell em John. Organization is all a state of mind. My dad was like you and every time I organized him he would get mad because he couldn't find anything. I finally had to quit messing him up.:D :o

Christopher K. Hartley
03-13-2007, 9:08 PM
For pete's sake. Those guys could have done half as much sawing and you'd be ten times happier.:( Still, that's a nice haul. Lookin' forward to seein' what you do with it.You are so right Mark. If I hadn't had to work I could have been home and my Stihl would have known right where to cut those babies.:eek:

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2007, 9:31 PM
Yep Christopher looks like some mighty fine wood to me. Just a little to organized for John and I but never the less doesn't look to bad.

Paul Andrews
03-14-2007, 8:34 AM
Nice looking haul, and far to well organized shop! Has anyone turned this type of pine? I see it on trash piles all over in Florida, but never tried to turn it as it is a softwood and as I recall contains lots of gooey sap!

Brian McInturff
03-14-2007, 9:12 AM
I was wondering the same thing as Paul. I pass up Loblolly pine all the time. Is there a difference in the pines as far as turning goes? I know NIP but it's not really a pine anyway. Christopher, have you turned that pine before? And if so what kind is it. You got some nice size blanks there and man, I'd love to have the space and be organized like you are! WoW!
bRIAN

Christopher K. Hartley
03-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Nice looking haul, and far to well organized shop! Has anyone turned this type of pine? I see it on trash piles all over in Florida, but never tried to turn it as it is a softwood and as I recall contains lots of gooey sap!

I was wondering the same thing as Paul. I pass up Loblolly pine all the time. Is there a difference in the pines as far as turning goes? I know NIP but it's not really a pine anyway. Christopher, have you turned that pine before? And if so what kind is it. You got some nice size blanks there and man, I'd love to have the space and be organized like you are! WoW!
bRIANI have turned this type of Pine before and it produces some nice stuff. The Pine resin isn't bad if the beatles allow the tree to drain before it is cut. End grain tends to be a bit of a challenge but other than that it isn't bad. Thanks:)

Greg Stanford
03-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Is that the same thing as Longleaf Pine? I'm in Mississippi & they're everywhere but I didn't think they were any good for turning.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-14-2007, 3:51 PM
Is that the same thing as Longleaf Pine? I'm in Mississippi & they're everywhere but I didn't think they were any good for turning.Southern Pines and longleaf are the same. and yes they can be turned. if you get one with the resin still in it, it can be very messy.
http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/trees/al_southern_longleaf_pine.htm

Brian McInturff
03-14-2007, 4:07 PM
Thanks Christopher,
Now I'm not sure if we have Loblolly pine or Longleaf Pine or if these are the same tree. I thought you could tell the difference by the # of needles per fascicle. 3 for Loblolly, 5 for White pine, 2 for Virginia pine(I think), etc. Does anyone know if a pine is just a pine theory works for turning? Too many names to understand them all. I'm going to give it a try as I know where there are some logs already cut. Thanks Again, Brian

Paul Andrews
03-14-2007, 4:20 PM
"Southern Pine" is actually comprised of four different types of pine, long and short leaf, loblolly and the fourth I forget. When you finsh turning something with this wood, how about posting a picture.

Thanks

Tom Sherman
03-14-2007, 4:38 PM
Chris that is a great gloat, if you aren't careful though you might get on Keith's list.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-14-2007, 5:52 PM
Chris that is a great gloat, if you aren't careful though you might get on Keith's list.Tom, which list is that?:confused:

Andy Hoyt
03-14-2007, 11:01 PM
If SYP and LLP are the same (and I really wouldn't know for sure), all I can say is, "git-r-done".

Your shop will smell great for days afterward. Mine did with this piece (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46440).

Brian McInturff
03-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Andy,
Thanks, I forgot all about that piece.Guess I'll be out tomorrow picking up somelogs. Have to find the ones that the Formosin Termites haven't got to yet. I know where some 8x12LongLeaf timbers are also that were cut back in the late fifties. Only problem is they were pressure treated with either Arsenic or salt.I've been tempted to turn a couple but I don't want the shavings in the shop or around my shop cat. Brian