PDA

View Full Version : What is taboo in our forum?

Gary Keedwell
03-13-2007, 3:41 PM
#77 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=547102&postcount=77) http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/report.php?p=547102)
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/statusicon/post_old.gif Today, 9:32 AM

OK folks....we've discussed this long enough. Let's not open any more threads on gun control. Ok? It's not going to ever be a discussion that will win the world over.

This thread is officially closed to posting.
I am not trying to start anything here, but I am a little confused. I visit the "off topic" very infrequently so I don't know all the regulations. I was under the assumption that "off topic" was a forum we could go to to discuss other subjects unrelated to woodworking. Right?
Well, frankly, there isn't too many subjects that catch my interest so I usually don't linger here very much. But the very important subject of the Second Amendment to the Constitution, definetly lifted my ears, so to speak. I thought the participants, on the whole, were very civil and informative. I enjoyed reading and participating, being that the subject could very well play an important part in everybodie's life.
Is there an official list of subjects that are "taboo" and therefore forbidden for us to discuss?
No offense to our distinquished moderator, but is there a subject that "will win the world over?"

Gary K.

Joe Pelonio
03-13-2007, 7:08 PM
Gary,

This is one of several forums I belong to, in fact I moderate on one. This is by far the friendliest, without any name calling ever. I think the moderators here want to keep it that way by avoiding too much politics, any discussion that has the potential to get nasty with serious disgreement among members. That thread did remain surprisingly calm which tells a lot about the members here.

Keith Outten
03-13-2007, 7:19 PM
Gary,

Politics and religion are topics that are not allowed.
I felt the thread on the DC Gun ban was a legal issue and not political. The topic started to wander, got a bit political and after several attempts to steer it back on track it was closed.

The subject was very simple but somehow it seemed to keep going off topic and we don't want any discussion to cause hard feelings or end a friendship. Dennis made the proper call closing the thread since it was impossible to keep the topic from wandering.

Joe is right about our Members, they are courteous and friendly and that is what makes SMC such a special community.

Steve Clardy
03-13-2007, 7:23 PM
Terms of Service

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php

And another, which is not in there, is direct linking to any auction item, such as Ebay.

Rob Bodenschatz
03-13-2007, 7:26 PM
No Keith, it was political from the start.

If we can't discuss the politics of Sawstop then you guys shouldn't be allowed to discuss the politics of gun control.

I reported it as a political thread out of spite.

Dennis Peacock
03-13-2007, 9:29 PM
It started as harmless.....and continued to get heavily into politics.

Politics and Religion are two subjects that are against the TOS here at SMC.

The SawStop discussion? That's woodworking related, however, the SawStop discussions often times get into slamming someone somewhere and that's when a thread gets out of control and gets closed or removed. Many times it's people's emotions that get involved and steers a thread on the slippery downhill slide.

Now...let's all cool it down and get back to woodworking. Please? :)

Peter Lyon
03-13-2007, 10:11 PM
From my perspective, it appeared the reason why the topic was allowed to continue and initially "seemed harmless" was because the moderators shared the point of view of the original poster.

John Bailey
03-13-2007, 10:37 PM
None of the moderators want to stop a thread. It's always a tough call. And, yes, in hindsight, the gun thread probably should have been stopped before it was. We'll do better next time.

Thanks,

John

Gary Keedwell
03-13-2007, 11:18 PM
Terms of Service

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php

And another, which is not in there, is direct linking to any auction item, such as Ebay.

Thank-you for the link, Steve. I understand religion & politics., but somehow the meaning of protecting oneself seems to transcend the meaning of politics. After all, not to beat a dead horse, we all would be talking the king's english, if we didn't protect what is ours.
Thankyou everyone for responding to my questions.
Gary K.:o

Matt Meiser
03-14-2007, 8:31 AM
From my perspective, it appeared the reason why the topic was allowed to continue and initially "seemed harmless" was because the moderators shared the point of view of the original poster.

That's probably true seeing as how we are all human and have opinions, emotions, and faults. From the mods perspective it probably looked different.

Jeffrey Fusaro
03-14-2007, 11:12 AM
i thought that jim and dennis did a good job of quickly reminding everyone about the 'tone' of future dialogue.

for the most part, folks honored the request.

personally, i was very impressed by the civility of the discussion, and the dissent. my first response when i saw the posting was, "UH-OH! the stuff is gonna start flyin', now!"

the point counter-point debate was excellent.

what impressed me the most, however, was the depth of historical knowledge put forth. i thoroughly enjoyed that part of the discussion.

kudos and thanks to those who took the time to educate me on the subject.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-14-2007, 12:44 PM
I am not trying to start anything here, but I am a little confused. I visit the "off topic" very infrequently so I don't know all the regulations. I was under the assumption that "off topic" was a forum we could go to to discuss other subjects unrelated to woodworking. Right?

I have had a couple of my posts deleted by Dennis He was nice enough to let me know it was happening.

Unless a forum has some clear concise rules you need to get inside the head of the moderator to know what is allowed or not. I am not a fan of clear concise rules outside of government as it tends to bring out the hidden lawyer in people.

After all on the internet there are no civil rights. You have no free speech rights; no right of handy capped access; no freedom from discrimination, racial, gender, invidious or any other kind.

This issue has been litigated enough so that there are some fairly clear statements that can be made. One is what I just said above and the other is that in the wonderful world of internet chat rooms, social networking forums etc., the management is the final arbitrator of all things - period. And that ladies and germs is the law of the land as the federal courts have written it.

Dennis Peacock
03-14-2007, 7:57 PM
I have had a couple of my posts deleted by Dennis He was nice enough to let me know it was happening.

Unless a forum has some clear concise rules you need to get inside the head of the moderator to know what is allowed or not.

Sorry Cliff.....but if you are looking for more room in my head? I'd sure like to know where it is so I can fill it with more memory. :D

Ken Salisbury
03-17-2007, 1:37 PM

I doubt that all our moderators have the same view on the subject. Good thing I was on Grand Jury duty all week and didn't visit or read the thread in question. I would have taken the same action as Dennis did.

Jim Becker
03-17-2007, 10:08 PM
I doubt that all our moderators have the same view on the subject.

Exactamundo... ;)

Mark Singer
03-18-2007, 10:03 AM
Exactamundo... ;)

Jim Exactamundo is Spanish and is not allowed just like politics and religion ....I tink?....:rolleyes:

Scott Donley
03-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Apparently there ARE taboo subjects that we cannot talk about. I posted yesterday a semi-funny question about Ken's picture on the bottom of his posts. I meant no offense and thought it was rather humurous. All I did was ask if the picture was Bob Newhart, because it looks like him. (the picture).
When I came home last night my post was gone (deleted). Again, I meant no harm and apparently someone is very sensitive. All I can say is LIGHTEN UP.:o

Gary K.Still there Gary :D #5 in this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=54271

Gary Keedwell
03-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Still there Gary :D #5 in this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=54271
:rolleyes: Oh my gosh, your right. My sincere appologies are in order.
Gary K.:o