PDA

View Full Version : ADA sign method

Joe Pelonio
03-13-2007, 2:01 PM
I have a guy that's wanting to do some ADA-like signs (raised letters, but no braille).

Both the background pieces and the letters will be cut from Rowmark ADA Laser material.

My question is this: Is there an adhesive that requires significant pressure to bond, but will stick enough not to move before the pressure? What I'm thinking is to apply the lettering colored material to the background colored material, "kiss" cut the letters then remove the excess (weed) and then apply pressure to make the letters bond.

Larry Bratton
03-13-2007, 4:30 PM
I have a guy that's wanting to do some ADA-like signs (raised letters, but no braille).

Both the background pieces and the letters will be cut from Rowmark ADA Laser material.

My question is this: Is there an adhesive that requires significant pressure to bond, but will stick enough not to move before the pressure? What I'm thinking is to apply the lettering colored material to the background colored material, "kiss" cut the letters then remove the excess (weed) and then apply pressure to make the letters bond.

Joe, Rowmark makes regular ADA applique for that purpose that is 1/32" thick (regulation) and it has adhesive applied. What I do with rotary engraving is to set the type (so to speak) by lightly engraving my letter layout on my sign plate, then cut my letters out using the same graphic and apply them to the layout. I think you can do the same with the laser.
However, if you don't put Braille on the sign, it is not ADA approved and will not pass any kind of inspection. It is necessary to take care with these type signs, because their is a liabilty issue. ADA is a civil rights thing and if this sign was in a public place, a blind person could take issue with it and get your client in hot water. Not saying that would happen, but their are all kinds of people out there looking to make a buck. I have heard of cases where business owners were taken to court on small infractions. Better to be safe than sorry.
From your comment "ADA-like", maybe their usage is not for a purpose that requires ADA signage so this may not be pertinent, but it's still good advice I think.

Scott Shepherd
03-13-2007, 7:27 PM
Joe, I just finished a batch of these on Friday, with Braille. I haven't used the Rowmark ADA, but I have used the GravoTac from Gravograph.

It's two pieces, with the top layer having the adhesive back on it. You stick it to the base layer and then laser it. You can then peel off the "drop" so to speak, and the normal letters are already in place and glued.

The adhesive does allow you some time to work with. But, don't come back the next day and try it.

I did have an order come in without the adhesive, so I bought the backing sheets. Boy was that a mistake. Stuck like superglue on everything it touched and was a disaster.

Had to order the material with the adhesive already attached.

Also, the indoor ADA from Gravograph (GravoTac) is NOT laserable. I found it makes for a real pain in the ________. I used the exterior series GravoTac, which is laserable and it did a nice job.

Cost was about $13.50-13.75 per sheet and takes about 2 days to get. I didn't order enough to get the pricing discount.

Hope this helps some.

Joe Pelonio
03-13-2007, 8:45 PM
Larry, this is a wholesale job, I just cut the background and lettering, those that require braille will go to someone else to add it. I have methods that are a bit like yours, instead of engraving the pattern lightly I used to keep the scrap that I cut the letters out of, and use it as a mounting pattern. More wasted material though, but when doing several hundred of these applying the letters is tedious. So I started to apply transfer tape before removing from the laser. Then I lift it out, cut with olfa knife through the transfer tape to separate each set of lettering/template, peel the backing from the adhesive on the letters only with tweezers. Then apply to the backing, press down the letters and lift off the template. Faster than one letter at a time but still slow.

Scott,

What I need for this, I guess, is the adhesive that comes on the Gravotac
that I can apply to the Rowmark ADA plastic. There is a vinyl called ControlTac that sticks lightly but is removable until you apply 40 lbs of pressure, the adhesive is micro-encapsulated. Something like that is what I'm looking for.

Scott Shepherd
03-13-2007, 9:32 PM
Joe, that's exactly what's on the GravoTac. They say you can buy the adhesive sheets, but the adhesive sheets they sell are super sticky and they don't peel off once applied. That's why I had to buy the adhesive backed GravoTac.

I've not found the sheets of the material you mention that sticks once pressure it applied. I haven't found a better solution than the GravoTac product line.

I can't imagine cutting out and placing them items one by one.

I know you're probably dealing with stock material you have, but you'll probably end up with the GravoTac if you need it quick and ready.

You MUST specify adhesive backed material, as it's sold both ways (Put an "A" on the end of the part number makes it adhesive backed). And you MUST use the exterior GravoTac for it to be laser friendly. Don't ask how I know :)

1)I did the braille and cut the size of the sign.

2)Stuck the top layer on.

3)Profiled the pictograms and text (kiss cut it + a little)

4)Peeled off the skeleton.

5)Done.

Scott Shepherd
03-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Hi Joe, just looking through the 2007 JDS catalog and on page 12, at the bottom, they sell ADA Tape (ADA20), saying that you should leave it on overnight before engraving. It might be what you're looking for.

Joe Pelonio
03-15-2007, 10:48 AM
I'll look at that too, but meanwhile I got my customer to order some of the gravotac to test out.

Larry Bratton
03-15-2007, 11:25 AM
I can see now the laser is going to aid tremendously in the ADA sign making process. Thanks for the tips.