PDA

View Full Version : Is it wrong to look at a tree and see a table

jeremy levine
03-13-2007, 11:39 AM
My baby and a tree I pine (really oak) for.

Joe Pelonio
03-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Think of it as a sculpture does, when he sees a beautiful woman in a huge stone or piece of marble.

I'm just glad you don't look at it and see firewood!

Jim Becker
03-13-2007, 1:44 PM
Not wrong, although a majestic old tree like that is nicer to look at "on the hoof" than it would be if it were gone and stacked in your shop. Joe's point is well taken...when you look beyond the life-span of the same tree, if you see furniture, scupture, turnings, etc., then the tree will live on way into the future...maybe for generations or longer. If you see ONLY firewood, well...you may stay warm, but it will be for a relatively short period of time.

Al Willits
03-13-2007, 2:15 PM
If you seen religious artifacts, deities, your mother in law, Gerald Ford, the cover of 2 live crews latest CD, or it was talking to you, yes, I'd be worried....a table, no.

Well...I don't see only firewood, but that would be one big pile of it...:)

Al...who doesn't think his garage could hold all that lumber, but he'd like to try...

jeremy levine
03-13-2007, 2:53 PM
The tree is on state park land ( with quite a few fine trees) and I hope it's there when the little one on front of it has his one of his own.

I just wish I had some way see ( a time machine) what it could be.

Ian Abraham
03-13-2007, 7:31 PM
:D

I see a BIG table, and some chairs.. and a new bed for the little fellow :cool:

Not that I'd cut down a NICE tree like that just to make furniture, but if it had to go, was dieing of old age, or got blown down in a storm.. I'd be there in a flash :D

Ian

Gary Herrmann
03-13-2007, 8:39 PM
I see a beautiful child sitting in front of a beautiful tree. Yes, you could get some amazing qsawn boards out of it, but I'm glad that one is in a park, so maybe your grandson will be able to see it standing. I don't want my son to just see wood when he's in a forest.

I got an amazing hunk of curly maple out of a red maple that came down in the last ice storm. The trunk had to be at least 5 ft in diameter at the base. It was a little sad.

Still, I sucked it up and cut up what I could manage and took it home. I may even go back :rolleyes: .

Soul of a Tree speaks to this topic very well, IMHO.

Jim Becker
03-13-2007, 8:50 PM
Soul of a Tree speaks to this topic very well, IMHO.

I meant to mention the same thing.

Curt Fuller
03-13-2007, 9:00 PM
I'm not much of a Bible expert but it seems like I remember there being a line or two about how you're not supposed to lust after you neighbors wife or cow or ox or a bunch of other things. But I don't recall a tree being one of those things. So I'd say it's OK.

Dan Gill
03-14-2007, 9:11 AM
One thing is certain: that's a cute kid!

jeremy levine
03-14-2007, 10:24 AM
One thing is certain: that's a cute kid!

Thanks... Of course the title of my thread was a joke. I just didn't see a thread like "thats a big tree" as sparking much chatter.