PDA

View Full Version : Laminate Cabinets

Chris Jenkins
03-13-2007, 9:34 AM
I've got a possible job coming up - refinishing some cabinets. I took a look at the cabinets and from what I can tell they are 5/8" MDF with 1/16" Thick high pressure laminate on all surfaces.

Right now the customer is thinking just to put a new laminate on top of the existing. Is this reccomended?

Is their any special recommendation / method for putting laminate over laminate?

I was thinking of making new doors entirely. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Jenkins
03-13-2007, 2:39 PM
Come on, this has got to be a simple answer for someone who has does cabinets and countertops.

Scott Loven
03-13-2007, 3:05 PM
Are you talking anout refinishing the inside of the cabinets with melamine or just resurfacing the face frames and doors or what?
Scott

Ted Miller
03-13-2007, 3:39 PM
Chris, What kind of laminate is there now, what was this laminate used for, does it have a bullnose edge or cornered. What kind of material are you going to use for the doors and panels. Is there any finish that you have to match. Are the cabs frameless or face framed, are you changing hardware?...

Bob Lang
03-13-2007, 4:30 PM
You can get the new laminate to stick to the old if you scuff sand the existing laminate. I'd use #80 grit in a random orbit sander. You don't need to do a super sanding job, you want to literally "scratch the surface", then apply the new laminate with contact cement.

The old stuff needs to have a good bond to the existing substrate, any loose spots and you'll have trouble. If it were me, I'd use vertical grade laminate (approx. 1/32" thick).

New doors will likely be faster and better than trying to relaminate the old ones.

Bob Lang

Chris Jenkins
03-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Sorry for the lack of details guys. Here we go

Right now they are 12 - 7/8"W x 30 - 1/2"H x 3/4"T
They are completly flat one piece doors made of MDF substrate and high pressure laminate (IE Formica or Wilson Art). They have a cove cut in the top for finger recess, which is spackled and painted (no laminate). All other surfaces have laminate covering the substrate.

Euro style hinges on the back which will remain the same

Here is a quick pic.

Jeffrey Makiel
03-14-2007, 11:39 AM
I have laminated over laminate, and I have wood veneered over laminate, both with excellent results. As for the doors, if the customer only wants a new surface finish, re-laminating may be the easiest route.
-Jeff