PDA

View Full Version : Applewood- Worth saving??? Pic

Doug M Jones
03-13-2007, 5:53 AM
I was cutting up damage to the maple trees in the yard last weekend and saved several good sized pieces for practice on my new mini lathe. At the back of the property are a couple of apple tree stumps that I have not taken time to remove. They have been there a couple of years and are quite dry. For kicks I took a slice off one with the chainsaw and have posted a picture. I can take about 4 more slices and the next level has shallower cracks. Is apple wood worth turning? Are the gray lines around the edges spalting?

I have so much to learn,

Thanks for your help.

Frank Kobilsek
03-13-2007, 8:50 AM
Doug,
Apple is wonderful to turn. Its very harder and takes a great finish. But ... I have had bad luck with cracks etc. The useable piece you will get from the blank in the picture will be small those cracks go farther than they appear. Fun to practice.

Frank

Glenn Hodges
03-13-2007, 9:49 AM
What are the dimensions of it?

Reed Gray
03-13-2007, 12:05 PM
I used to try to save pieces like that, but have found out that it is seldom worth the extra time it takes. You can take it and split it along the cracks, and get some nice small pieces for spindle/end grain turning like small hollow forms. Looks like there is some nice spalting and colors in it.
robo hippy

John Hart
03-13-2007, 12:27 PM
I have the same dilemma with some spalted beech from long ago. Andy Hoyt told me he didn't want it, just because there was some ringshake all through it....or some other lame excuse.:rolleyes:

Anyways...it looks really cool...but badly cracked...sorta like that apple you're showing. It'll make fine pen blanks....Bell handles....confetti lamps....Drawer Knobs...etc. That's why I'm keeping mine...dispite the cracks.

Dan Carroll
03-13-2007, 12:36 PM
And worst case, you great saw dust and left overs for the smoker.

Doug M Jones
03-13-2007, 1:40 PM
Glen,
it's about 14" by 4-5 inches thick. I can get about 3 more slices from that trunk and about 5 slices from the other trunk which is slightly bigger around. The cracks seem to be much shallower as you approach the ground.

I have to cut them anyway so I might as well make some sawdust.

Jim Becker
03-13-2007, 1:41 PM
Apple is wonderful to turn. Even with the cracking, you should be able to get some very nice blanks for end-grain boxes and vessels if you can't get a bowl blank to your liking. Go for it!

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2007, 4:17 PM
Doug I am thinking that if cut right I could get maybe 4 lidded boxes out of that. Just a thought because they are smaller blanks.