PDA

View Full Version : tempered glass

Mark Mullis
03-12-2007, 10:30 PM
I was just wondering if it is possible to laser engrave tempered glass, such as shower doors. I have heard that tempered glass will shatter if it gets chipped at all. And since the laser fractures the glass, I thought it might shatter tempered glass.

Leigh Costello
03-12-2007, 11:43 PM
There are several threads about this. I have not tried tempered glass with the laser. I have sandblasted it though, and it turned out really well. And I know from experience ( and not a pleasant one ) that hand engraving is a no-no also. Do a search on the forum about tempered glass. Good luck!

Jerry Allen
03-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Mark,
I have done a couple of pieces of tempered glass with no problems using Photobrasive Laser Mask (there are other brands). I use this mask on all glass that I do and it yields superior results to soap and wet paper. Still not quite as nice as sand blasting. In the case of tempered glass, it would also keep the piece from shattering, but I wouldn't worry about it much if you don't radically overheat the glass by using excessive power or too slow a speed.