PDA

View Full Version : Another Learning Opportunity

Pete Jordan
03-12-2007, 7:11 PM
I started out for the garage to make a popcorn bowl because John Hart's looked so good. I ended up making a box and then a funnel. My gloat is the forstner/expandable chuck set that I bought. Most of the boxes I have tried have ended up blowing up when I tried to fit them on a jam chuck. This expandable chuck works great. Tomorrow I will work on my depth again!:eek:

The box is spalted maple and is 3 by 5 inches

Bernie Weishapl
03-12-2007, 7:39 PM
Hey Pete don't worry. Sit it on the shelf to remind you to measure once in a while. I have 2 box funnels and 2 bowl funnels to remind me to measure. Don't ya just hate it when that happens.:mad: Hey hit the lathe and do'er again. :D

Jim Becker
03-12-2007, 8:09 PM
Look at it this way...it's a lot easier to judge even wall thickness if you can see from both ends... :D

Chris Barton
03-12-2007, 8:21 PM
I have made many funnels, and in afterthought, each one was both fun and a learning experience! Keep up the good work.

John Hart
03-12-2007, 8:23 PM
nice gloat Pete. Ya know...I've been wondering about this setup for a while now. Isn't it the same thing as a Drum Sanding kit...only with forstner bits? I've thought about using my drum sanding stuff for boxes...if I ever get around to doing a box.:rolleyes: Whatcha think?

Keith Burns
03-12-2007, 8:37 PM
Pete, it's things like this that keep things interesting (and make me say bad words). Just keep spinnin':) :)

Pete Jordan
03-12-2007, 8:45 PM
nice gloat Pete. Ya know...I've been wondering about this setup for a while now. Isn't it the same thing as a Drum Sanding kit...only with forstner bits? I've thought about using my drum sanding stuff for boxes...if I ever get around to doing a box.:rolleyes: Whatcha think?

John,
I don't know about the drum sander. These do expand by turning a nut and fit very tight. I figure I can use them for boxes and ornaments(Christmas is just around the corner) especially as slow as I work!:eek:

Christopher K. Hartley
03-12-2007, 8:48 PM
Too bad Pete, I'll bet that knot would have looked real nice finished. Fail...Learn...Suceed, it's a process.:)

Brian McInturff
03-12-2007, 9:22 PM
And see, I thought that was a tooth pick holder and a large napkin ring. Never would've known different if you hadn't told me:) Brian

Steve Schlumpf
03-12-2007, 9:53 PM
Pete - really good looking box! No reason you couldn't glue in another piece of wood and finish it. Have to agree with John in that your expandable chucks look just like the drum sanders I use on my drill press. Never thought of using them as a chuck but can't see a reason why they wouldn't work!

George Tokarev
03-13-2007, 7:16 AM
Not sure whether they'll do anything more than a properly-sized groove and a standard chuck. Might even be worse to work with, since they don't have a firm surface to keep things in register. Get a box tipped just a skosh and the lid is thin on one side. You'll have to rely on the other end for centering.

I put a piece of tape around the tool to remind me how deep. Low tech but effective. Not that this is a ruined piece. I think that scrap of cherry burl will fit nicely in the space you've created. Shellac to a fare-thee-well and call it a cabochon.