PDA

View Full Version : FiOS is in

Mitchell Andrus
03-12-2007, 7:06 PM
Holy cow - it's fast.

I did a speed test at: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

I just hit Download Speed: 20644 kbps (2580.5 KB/sec transfer rate). On DSL I averaged 4,500 kbps

Funny thing, my wife was pushing for FiOS for her office, but because she's tied in to a link (or some other non-sense stuff) through her office server, she's getting about 7,500 kbps. She's a bit upset!!!!

No matter how fast the connection, the narrowest bottleneck in the system determines your speed. A 2:35 low res Youtube video loaded in four seconds flat. High res loads about twice as fast as real time.

Run a speed test and post it.

Dave Fifield
03-12-2007, 8:12 PM
Interesting! Fibre optic is the way to go, f'sure.

I'll be doing some speed tests on my system at home tonight and again later in the week - I'm supposed to be getting 6Mbps DSL (with a new modem/router) delivered to me tomorrow. Right now it's 384Kbps DSL (up and down). I'll let you know how it goes.

Who's your ISP Mitchell?

Jim Becker
03-12-2007, 8:13 PM
Mitchell...more importantly, look at your upload speed. That's where you'll actually notice more improvement when you're sending email, etc. If you have 20 down, you likely have 5mb up...oh my, could I use that for all the PowerPoint files I need to schlep up to the SharePoint servers and in email to others!!!

And your LOYL is certainly experiencing a far-end bottleneck with FiOS 20/5. Even so, that's still a pretty good speed for a corporate link. ;)

Dave Fifield
03-12-2007, 8:14 PM
I just tried the speed test here at work. I get 1293kbps down and 1429Kbps up. We're on a T1. That's about right.

David G Baker
03-12-2007, 11:50 PM
My Charter Cable set up gave me 2843kbps down and 348kbps up. It is a miracle that I can get that speed. The only reason I have cable is due to a new housing track going in a few blocks from me. Doubt that I will ever get fiber because the population density in my area is not that heavy.
David B

Mitchell Andrus
03-13-2007, 8:44 AM
At 8:40 it is:

Download Speed: 20773 kbps (2596.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4578 kbps (572.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

I'll be building a new webcatalog soon, it'll come in handy.

Mitchell Andrus
03-13-2007, 8:45 AM
ISP - Verizon.

Jeffrey Makiel
03-13-2007, 2:09 PM
Verizon FiOS....I'm jealous!

I'm lickin' my chops in anticipation that the FiOS 3-pack option will one day be available in my area. It does phone, internet and high definiation TV for $100/month. I'm payin' way more than that now, and the TV and internet service are marginal to poor.

-Jeff :)

Mitchell Andrus
03-13-2007, 2:41 PM
No TV yet, Last year got a 42" plasma and Directtv/Tivo. I'm not ready to set aside the $400.00 I spent on the equipment.

Jim Becker
03-13-2007, 3:28 PM
Mitchell, if it's a Tivo Series III, I believe you can use it with FiOS using two CableCards available from VZ for about $3 a month. And the HD on VZ is better than just about anything this side of plugging directly into the station's network.

Mitchell Andrus
03-13-2007, 4:11 PM
I'll have to check on that. Thanks.

Michael Cody
03-13-2007, 7:20 PM
Last Result:
Download Speed: 8614 kbps (1076.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 751 kbps (93.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Comcast Cable in Richland, MI to the Chicago site.

John Shuk
03-13-2007, 8:33 PM
This is a website that does a speed test and at the end it shows a comparison between you, your state, and other countries. It is kind of interesting.
It is a website that is put up by the Communication Workers of America of which I am a member. As a website hosted by a labor union you may encounter some politcal rhetoric. Engage or ignore at your leisure.
http://www.speedmatters.org/speed-test/speedtest1103.html?src=cwa1103&utm_source=cwa1103&utm_medium=local

Jerry Clark
03-13-2007, 9:31 PM
I wonder why Japan is so much faster than anyone else?:eek: Mine was 1447 down and only 447 up. I guess it is not all bad for TW cable.:)

Jack Hogoboom
03-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Guys,

You're making me green with envy....:(

Jim, according to my wife our problem is not her company, but our two-year agreement with the cable company. Trying to find out what the cost of early termination will be.

Since I am in private practice, I can work where ever I want. We have a great network at my office and I frequently connect remotely. Having that broadband capability is a must-have for me when I am writing and editing large agreements. The remote capability lets me get home to see my wife and kids and keep my clients satisfied. Fios would be that much better.

As an aside, I discovered a couple of weeks ago that I can use my blackberry device as a tethered cellular modem for my laptop. No more lost time on trains for me!! Also came in real handy when the cable guys were working down the street last week.

Only downside is that people know I'm always accessible....:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
03-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Only downside is that people know I'm always accessible....

I've been working "virtual office" for over ten years now...and yes, being accessable is sometimes, umm...distracting. It's hard to ignore the "ping" when an email comes in at 11pm or at some other hour, sometimes just because you are curious about who is working so late! :o

Jack Hogoboom
03-14-2007, 2:33 PM
Spoke to the Verizon people. Good news is that we can get phone, modem and TV for quite a bit less than we are currently paying. Bad news is (i) each TV has to have a set-top box, (ii) current technology can only handle 7 TVs (I have four kids and more TVs than I would care to admit) and (iii) 3.5 week wait for installation.

Having said that, we're going to go forward unless our cable company comes up with a blockbuster counter. We'll still need a basic cable connection for the excess TVs.

Jack

Mitchell Andrus
03-14-2007, 3:40 PM
Jack,

Without the need for TV hookups, the installers were here 3 hours or so. We had cables for all four computers already in place for DSL, so all that was needed was to swap out the old router. If they need to run cables for computers and the TV(s), they'll be all over the house, allow a full day. Phones are hooked up outside. In Mendham, you'll likely get the guys that came to my place. Without TVs, we were installed in four days flat.

Art Mulder
03-15-2007, 8:10 AM
..can only handle 7 TVs (I have four kids and more TVs than I would care to admit) ... We'll still need a basic cable connection for the excess TVs.

Lets see, you have six sets of eyeballs, but you've admitted that you have more than seven televisions...

Jack, you don't need to pay for the extra cable connection, you need to sell a few screens. ;)

(seriously, around here basic cable starts at --- I'm not even sure, as I use an antenna --- I think about $25 a month. So that is $300 a year. I can't believe it'll be cheaper than that for you. If the kids object, make them pay for it.)

Dave Richards
03-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Never mind.

Art Mulder
03-15-2007, 12:20 PM
This is very interesting to me.

We had a fiber optic network here in the hospitals and it was found to be too slow so all the fiber was pulled out and CAT5 put in its place. I don't know any of the details. I just had to redo the wiring on the anesthesia machines when the switch was made.

No Way.

There has got to be more to the story than that.

(Cheaper termination, Cheaper cards, Cheaper switches... all that I'd buy. Faster? Nuh-huh.)

Dave Richards
03-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Doesn't matter.

Mitchell Andrus
03-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Sounds like a "make work" change for a connected relative. There is no way cat 5 is faster than fiber. The switching units might have been old unsupported models, but that should have been an easy upgrade.

Art Mulder
03-15-2007, 1:54 PM
Doesn't matter.
You're right. Sorry if it seemed like I was coming down on you like a ton of bricks. :rolleyes:

Brian Elfert
03-16-2007, 10:47 PM
Man, I wish I could get any sort of high speed Internet short of wireless on a rural lot I want to buy. Qwest doesn't have DSL there and no cable service either.

The only high speed Internet option is is satellite or wireless from a local company. The wireless is only 256kb each way for $50 a month.

I might have to pass on this lot because of no high speed Internet. The irony is a few lots further out do have Qwest DSL available even though they are just as rural.

Brian Elfert

John Shuk
03-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Man, I wish I could get any sort of high speed Internet short of wireless on a rural lot I want to buy. Qwest doesn't have DSL there and no cable service either.

The only high speed Internet option is is satellite or wireless from a local company. The wireless is only 256kb each way for $50 a month.

I might have to pass on this lot because of no high speed Internet. The irony is a few lots further out do have Qwest DSL available even though they are just as rural.

Brian Elfert

Brian,
If you see a couple of phone guys around mention this to them. Unfortunatly even with my company customers who are in a DSL service area are said to be ineligable. We even have a technician who has DSL yet if he enters his phone# on the website it replies that he is ineligible. It could be that your friends are served out a remote cabinet that acts as a Central Office for purposes of distance and you are not. Local technicians often have the knowledge that the people in the office do not.

jeremy levine
03-17-2007, 1:24 PM
What speed option did you get ?