PDA

View Full Version : Bedrock refurbish

Terry Bigelow
03-12-2007, 4:42 PM
Got this 607 off fleabay for next to nothing(thanks to its condition) and cleaned 'er up real nice. Goes with my 604 1/2 and 605 I refurbed nicely too!

Steve Clardy
03-12-2007, 5:10 PM
Looks great Terry!!

Howie French
03-12-2007, 5:11 PM
Looks great Terry, I just picked up a #4 type 13 - my first plane to refurbish.
Any tips you might card to share ? you did a really nice job !

Howie

Terry Bigelow
03-12-2007, 5:36 PM
I use only laquer thinner, wire brushes, sandpaper and oil...oh yeah, lots of elbow grease! I usually take them completely apart and soak the small parts in laq.thin. and start cleaning the base. I use sandpaper (120 then 220) on a piece of scrap granite to clean and true up the bottom and sides followed by a fine wire wheel brush on the drill press. Then I lightly wire the japanned area but not too much as so not to remove any of the japanning. After wire brushing all the soaked parts I oil everything and put'er back together. Some of my refurbs I buy a new rosewood knob & tote depending on the condition of the existing ones and what I have on hand. Highland Hardware sells a REALLY nice rosewood knob&tote with hardware for $30.00!!! That's whats on the 604 1/2 and the 607 in the pics. I also replace the blade and chipbreaker with Hock or Lie-Nielson although I haven't done that with the 607...yet. Of course then comes the sharpening!!!! I really enjoy doing it and I love using them. I know it's not for everyone but I like to think they were made to be used, so why not tune'em up and let'em rip? I've really taken to the Bedrocks(no suprise) and I'm thinking of downsizing and getting a few more "rocks".

Clint Jones
03-12-2007, 5:48 PM
That 604 1/2 you have there is a beast. You have the same setup as I do (604 1/2 with Hock). My 604 1/2 is possibly my favorite plane.

Caleb Dietrich
03-12-2007, 5:58 PM
Terry, you did a great job on all three. I particulary like that you cleaned them up, but didn't redo the japaning. I think the wear gives them some added character. To me, they never really look right with a shiny new coat of black paint.

Ron Brese
03-12-2007, 6:10 PM
I agee wil Caleb, I think you got to leave some of that character on them so they look like what they are. You did a great job on the restoration.

Ron

Ken Werner
03-12-2007, 6:46 PM
As others have said, good job. I'm sure you'll enjoy those for a long time.
Ken

Bill Hansen
03-12-2007, 7:26 PM
They look beautiful, I should do something with the 17 planes I have sitting around.
Bill