PDA

View Full Version : Walnut top

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
12-16-2003, 10:08 AM
I was going through some boxes of stuff from prior years and managed to get together a box for tots for toys. There are a number of items, but I have the most of these two items. The two are popular toys from the turn of the last century and before. I have made many of these tops and they are always appreciated. In the early eighties I gave some to my secretaries sons for Christmas. Seems the kids complained because the adults were playing with them most of the day. Adults also like to play with the climbing men. Heck! I like to play with them myself. Yuk. Yuk.

Dave Avery
12-16-2003, 10:28 AM
Neat stuff Don...... I have great memories of a similar top that my grandfather made for me. The top is still at my parent's home and my 4 year old now enjoys playing with it when we visit. Thanks for sharing. Dave.

Joe Tonich
12-16-2003, 11:32 AM
I was going through some boxes of stuff from prior years and managed to get together a box for tots for toys. There are a number of items, but I have the most of these two items. The two are popular toys from the turn of the last century and before. I have made many of these tops and they are always appreciated. In the early eighties I gave some to my secretaries sons for Christmas. Seems the kids complained because the adults were playing with them most of the day. Adults also like to play with the climbing men. Heck! I like to play with them myself. Yuk. Yuk.
Don,

How did you make the Top? I've looked for instructions but can't seem to find any. Also, I've never seen a "Climbing Man" before. How does it work?

Thanks,

Joe

12-16-2003, 10:08 PM
Tony, The top is made by taking a I" square by 8" long chunk and drilling two holes, a 5/8" centered hole about 1 1/2" from one end , and a 1/4" hole centered and bisecting the first hole. Then chuck it in the lathe and turn the handle to a pleasing shape. The length of the block allows for trimming off the spur center and cup center marks. The top itself is turned from a solid block about 2" round and 4" long. Turn a 1/4 inch tenon about a 1 1/4" long on one end and then drill a 1/16" hole through the tenon about 5/8" up from the top body. Turn the rest of the top to a pleasing shape with a good point on the end. I make the top body about 2 12" long. You can use the pic above for reference. Turn the small string handle as you can see in the pic. The center v cut is just deep enough to keep the string in position. I use waxed linnen thread for the string and put a little glue on the end to make it easier to thread it through the hole in the top tenon. A good oil finsh is all that is needed.

If this isn't clear enough email me.

The climbing man hangs by the spreader block from a nail or hook fairly high up. The two cords pass through holes drilled on the bias through the hands. By taking the slack out of the two cords and then pulling a little harder first on one cord and then on the other the little man will climb to the top of the cords and slide back down when the tension is released.

Jason Roehl
12-17-2003, 7:41 AM
Tony, The top is made by taking a I" square by 8" long chunk and drilling two holes, a 5/8" centered hole about 1 1/2" from one end , and a 1/4" hole centered and bisecting the first hole. Then chuck it in the lathe and turn the handle to a pleasing shape. The length of the block allows for trimming off the spur center and cup center marks. The top itself is turned from a solid block about 2" round and 4" long. Turn a 1/4 inch tenon about a 1 1/4" long on one end and then drill a 1/16" hole through the tenon about 5/8" up from the top body. Turn the rest of the top to a pleasing shape with a good point on the end. I make the top body about 2 12" long. You can use the pic above for reference. Turn the small string handle as you can see in the pic. The center v cut is just deep enough to keep the string in position. I use waxed linnen thread for the string and put a little glue on the end to make it easier to thread it through the hole in the top tenon. A good oil finsh is all that is needed.

If this isn't clear enough email me.

The climbing man hangs by the spreader block from a nail or hook fairly high up. The two cords pass through holes drilled on the bias through the hands. By taking the slack out of the two cords and then pulling a little harder first on one cord and then on the other the little man will climb to the top of the cords and slide back down when the tension is released.
Sounds good to me, Don! Good description on how to do it. I'm sure my kids (okay, me and my wife, too) will appreciate the tutorial!! :D

Joe Tonich
12-17-2003, 12:35 PM
Thanks Don,

Great instructions. :) Hopefully I'll be able to make some by Christmas if I can get any shop time before then. I think my boys would love them.

Joe

12-17-2003, 10:50 PM
Joe, Sorry for calling you Tony. I had an interruption and I am getting so my memory is shorter every day. At least I got the TON right for part of your name.