PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Car decals

Tom Cullen
03-12-2007, 3:07 PM
I was recently thinking of jazzing up my Mustang with a couple of big decals on the driver and passenger doors. has anyone ever used clipart to do this and how was the results? What type of material would you recommend ..thickness etc and where can I get it? if someone could post pic's that would be great!

Thanks
Tom

Mike Hood
03-12-2007, 3:42 PM
Clipart is the best way to start. I've done several cars and many boats. Depends on your tastes, but I've had great fun with some of the Tribal Clipart CDs I have. Tribal flames always look great.

Joe Pelonio
03-12-2007, 4:05 PM
Do you have a plotter? I have done many cars and trucks, mostly commercial vehicle lettering and logos, but also several with flames and other striping/graphics. Without a plotter you'll have to print the clipart full sized and use as a pattern to hand cut the vinyl.

You need to use premium (cast) vinyl, you cut, weed, apply transfer tape and apply it. For a beginner you'd want to stick to a flat area, curves or worse compound curves can be tricky.
http://members.aol.com/bisjoe/van2.jpg
http://members.aol.com/bisjoe/vans.jpg

Joe Pelonio
03-12-2007, 4:11 PM
Here's some vector flames that I have used before

Tom Cullen
03-12-2007, 4:34 PM
Hi Joe, Mike,
Thank you guys for the reply, Joe I don't have access to a plotter but might be able to find one in my neighborhood? although I was thinking of starting of small more like say an 18X18 logo on the doors or slightly smaller. I have a bear head I wanted to use and hopefully vector. Can I vector cut the vinyl on my laser? and does this type of vinyl raster? what thickness is best to use and can I get it pre glued? A lot of questions I know but this is a first for me. Mike what material do you use?

Thanks
Tom

Joe Pelonio
03-12-2007, 4:57 PM
I don't know that you'd find a plotter available for your use. If you vector cut it on the laser there's that nasty business of vinyl containing PVC. You'd also have to find a place to buy the vinyl and then set the laser to just cut the vinyl but not the liner.

Yes, the vinyl is adhesive backed, on a release liner, and 2 mil thickness so looks like paint when on, you can barely feel the edges. I'd suggest that you go to a local sign shop with your vector file and ask for a price for them to cut and prepare it so you can install. I'd probably charge about $20 for the pair that size, 1 color, plus $4-5 shipping.

Tom Cullen
03-12-2007, 5:38 PM
Thanks Joe,
I will let you know how I fare, was kinda hoping I could do it myself but if not I would be happy to turn it over to you.

Tom