PDA

View Full Version : Easy and quick rust removal

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-12-2007, 12:37 PM
He even dis it to top of his table saw with a rag.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Machining/QuickTricks/RustRemoval/rustremoval.html

I have heard negative comments on the use of a battery charger because it is somewhat unregulated and you can't attenuate the current - - -but if it's what you have at hand why not?

Joe Trotter
03-12-2007, 1:46 PM
I have used electrolysis many times on my old tractor parts, it works great.

I used some phosphoric acid on my cast iron table saw top to remove surface rust. I then wiped it down with WD40. I need to clean it a little more with some scotch-brite and then wax it.

Thanks for the link, pretty interesting idea with the rag.

Joe

Greg Sznajdruk
03-12-2007, 3:07 PM
Cliff:

Don't know if "Baking Soda" will work. Usually "Washing Soda" is use. Not the same as Baking Soda.

Greg

Dan Forman
03-12-2007, 4:26 PM
There are a few of folks over on Woodnet in the handtool forum who use electrolysis for cleaning up old planes and such. A good source of info for any who are so inclined.

Dan

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-12-2007, 5:45 PM
Cliff:

Don't know if "Baking Soda" will work. Usually "Washing Soda" is use. Not the same as Baking Soda.

Greg

So ya think that is a typo?

Joe Spear
03-12-2007, 7:50 PM
I have used a battery charger with the baking soda solution in a plastic bucket (no real need for washing soda) to de-rust small tools. But that is really clever using a wet rag to do the tablesaw top. I just hope my top never gets that bad. Once I used a piece of dirty metal as an electrode that I thought was steel to do a stainless steel (yes, it does rust) soap rack. Turns out it was actually brass, and I partially copper plated the rack.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-12-2007, 8:13 PM
I just tried it with Baking Soda.
a cup some water a rusty old wrench some baking soda and a battery charger.

Worked like a charm.

I tried a couple different electrodes copper, galvanized steel and bare steel.
The copper seemed to sublime into the water the fastest.