PDA

View Full Version : OT a little- Finishing Question

Larry Harman
12-16-2003, 10:37 AM
A friend made a blanket chest using 3/16" walnut plywood for the panels. He glued 2 pieces back to back to obtain a 3/8" panel finished on both sides. (in accord with a published plan--the panels floats on grooves between rails and stiles)

PROBLEM-- After applying one coat of Danish Oil, per instructions, the walnut plywood has white streaks, running with the grain-very noticeble. The streaks do not take BLO, Danish oil, or even stain allowed to sit for 30 minutes. Tests with topcoatings (Shellac and varnish) do not help. They remain white. The panels were not sanded to any point near sanding thru the veneer, but the veneer on a scrap piece reveals the actual veneer is paper thin. Purchased at Paxton's
Considering trying a paste wood filler, then stain or dye.
Is this perhaps adhesive bleed-thru from the substrate of the plywood?

Anybody encounter this, or have a solution? Thanks. Larry Harman

Todd Burch
12-16-2003, 6:38 PM
That could very well be adhesive bleed through. I would ask Paxtons to replace it. Although, it's already part of a project now, and it would probably be impossible or a major pain to replace the panels... I would ask for enough lumber/sheet goods to replicate the project. This walnut wasn't in the clearance bin was it? I stay away from clearance bins, unless I know WHY it is in the clearance bin.

Find out who their supplier is, and perhaps stay away from that supplier in the future.

Do you have a picture of the failure? How white is white? Do they look like glue lines?

You could always tint a lacquer topcoat, but hey - you are using walnut for a reason... Bummer.

Todd.

Alan Turner
12-17-2003, 8:31 AM
I had this problem on some 1.2" Ash ply. It wouldn't take a dye, and a gel stain used as a glaze only helped a bit. I took some pigment, and a small artist's brush, and it was gone. However, I had only a bit of this. Perhaps 2 steaks, 3/16" by about 2" long.

Larry Harman
12-17-2003, 2:49 PM
Thanks gentlemen- the ply was not from the clearance bin-$50.00 a sheet- I don't have one of the digital cameras,but I'll try to get a pic and post.
Yes, it looks like glue seep thru- creamy to white- running with the grain most of the time, but two pieces are heavily "splotched" and looks like soapy water was splashed on the wood--only apparent AFTER oil applied- tried shellac/ varnish/stain, but no help--pretty sure it's glue--PAxton's think so too. sent us to a "finishing" co. here in town, but haven't had time to get there yet. Way too much to try the artist brush solution, but good idea.
Thinking about trying to apply another sheet of veneer to top of panel but haven't ever applied veneer...Larry