PDA

View Full Version : Did Stanley ever make planes for others?

Randal Stevenson
03-12-2007, 11:50 AM
I have an old Sargent made Craftsman plane and have been on the lookout for a LA block plane. As my mom is a chronic garage saler, I told her to look for a 6" plane (about as specific as she could handle, went through this before).

She came back from a trip and called and said she had an early birthday present, and I needed to stop by (normally means edible). I stopped over, and sitting on the table is a knuckle joint plane. I know what it looks like, but my eyes are telling me, I am wishing. (pics later, I have to borrow a digital camera, and am off to work). It doesn't look like a Sargent, it looks like a Stanley #65, but the blade says Wards master, and I don't see Stanley written on it.

I will post some pics tommorrow, OTW

Thanks

Joe Rogers
03-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Hi Randal. I believe Stanley made planes for anyone that would buy by the lot. Keen Kutter, a brand for a hardware chain, comes to mind. Sears and Wards surely had the buying power to elicit bids from Stanley. The planes that Stanley and Sargent supplied weren't too far different than the standard issue planes either. My guess is that you have a private branded Stanley plane. JR

James Owen
03-12-2007, 4:03 PM
I have an old Sargent made Craftsman plane and have been on the lookout for a LA block plane. As my mom is a chronic garage saler, I told her to look for a 6" plane (about as specific as she could handle, went through this before).

She came back from a trip and called and said she had an early birthday present, and I needed to stop by (normally means edible). I stopped over, and sitting on the table is a knuckle joint plane. I know what it looks like, but my eyes are telling me, I am wishing. (pics later, I have to borrow a digital camera, and am off to work). It doesn't look like a Sargent, it looks like a Stanley #65, but the blade says Wards master, and I don't see Stanley written on it.

I will post some pics tommorrow, OTW

Thanks

IIRC Wards Master was manufactured by Sargent; generally pretty good quality planes. Nice score!

Bill Houghton
03-12-2007, 8:58 PM
One of my finest planes is a Wards Master No. 4 smoother, on which the iron appears to have been bio-engineered with Energizer Bunny genes. I've gone for MONTHS of intermittent use without touching the iron's edge.

Ian Smith
03-13-2007, 4:26 AM
Here is a picture of a Stanley manufactured Wards No. 45 Combination Plane.

Clint Jones
03-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Whichever big company had the lowest bid manufactured off brand planes for other companies. Wards Master was in fact contracted by Stanley. All of wards master planes were made by Stanley.

Randal Stevenson
03-13-2007, 12:56 PM
I haven't had a digital camera for years as it was stolen. Money went into tools instead so here goes. Background is a plastic drop cloth for the kids painting table.

Mike Henderson
03-13-2007, 3:27 PM
Sure looks like a Stanley 65. Check the mouth for tiny cracks on the back side of the mouth, at the outermost opening. You may have to sand the body there to really see if there are any cracks. If no cracks, you have a really good plane. You might buy a new A2 blade for it from Lee Valley (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,41182,43698&p=42607)or Hock. I think it's a 1 5/8 inch blade with a 5/8 inch slot (but check).

The only other things I'd do are to flatten the sole, clean up the sides and the knuckle cap, and put a tiny bit of oil on all the threads. Then enjoy a really top notch low angle block plane. Your mom did well.

Mike

Randal Stevenson
03-13-2007, 4:54 PM
Sure looks like a Stanley 65. Check the mouth for tiny cracks on the back side of the mouth, at the outermost opening. You may have to sand the body there to really see if there are any cracks. If no cracks, you have a really good plane. You might buy a new A2 blade for it from Lee Valley (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,41182,43698&p=42607)or Hock. I think it's a 1 5/8 inch blade with a 5/8 inch slot (but check).

Mike

All right, it appears to have one crack on one side, about 1/16" long. When I googled for the 65 and came across several example on Ebay with chip outs, can this be fixed to prevent that in the future? Granted she told me she only gave $8 for it, but can I save it?

Mike Henderson
03-13-2007, 6:56 PM
All right, it appears to have one crack on one side, about 1/16" long. When I googled for the 65 and came across several example on Ebay with chip outs, can this be fixed to prevent that in the future? Granted she told me she only gave $8 for it, but can I save it?
If that's all the cracking you have, don't worry about it. Just don't set the cap screw so that when you push the knuckle down it's super tight. That will put more stress on that area of the mouth. Just enjoy the plane. Stanley 65's with a lot more defects go for a lot more than $8. You got a SUPER deal.

If you can get by the ethics and want to make some money, get an old Stanley blade and sell it as a Stanley 65. Early Stanley 65's did not have "65" stamped on the side of the plane. But that would be unethical... You would probably get around $50 for it, depending upon the quality of the nickel plating.

Mike

Randal Stevenson
03-13-2007, 7:03 PM
If that's all the cracking you have, don't worry about it. Just don't set the cap screw so that when you push the knuckle down it's super tight. That will put more stress on that area of the mouth. Just enjoy the plane. Stanley 65's with a lot more defects go for a lot more than $8. You got a SUPER deal.

If you can get by the ethics and want to make some money, get an old Stanley blade and sell it as a Stanley 65. Early Stanley 65's did not have "65" stamped on the side of the plane. But that would be unethical... You would probably get around $50 for it, maybe more.

Mike

Thanks!

As for ethics
I was looking for a user, not a way to make money. I don't watch bargin alerts, buy then try to sell back to the people who posted the bargin alerts, not my way. I am the only person I know (and others called me RFC) who turned DOWN a seven figure payout, to do something I considered unethical, though not illegal.

I'll clean it up, and may get a hock blade for it. Then I'll yard sale that Buck Brothers that my father picked up for me (knowing I was looking and decided NOT to wait and watch).

Mike Henderson
03-13-2007, 7:14 PM
One thing you can very honestly do when you decide to sell it is say that you believe it was made by Stanley and is the same as the Stanley 65.

When you buy planes on eBay, you get kind of cynical about what's actually being offered. I hope my comment didn't offend you.

Mike

Randal Stevenson
03-13-2007, 7:19 PM
One thing you can very honestly do when you decide to sell it is say that you believe it was made by Stanley and is the same as the Stanley 65.

When you buy planes on eBay, you get kind of cynical about what's actually being offered. I hope my comment didn't offend you.

Mike
No offense taken, I just know too many of the type that would/do do that. And it's NOT just being a money whore.

Now I really need to go get the Garret wade book, as I am really the only woodworker in the family. Dad is more the Red Green style of woodworking. (ie, taught me what NOT to do).

Joe Rogers
03-13-2007, 7:19 PM
The knuckle cap is a dead ringer for the#18 I got at the PATINA sale Saturday.They just didn't mark it with the Stanley logo.JR

Randal Stevenson
03-13-2007, 7:33 PM
The knuckle cap is a dead ringer for the#18 I got at the PATINA sale Saturday.They just didn't mark it with the Stanley logo.JR

While I hadn't seen that lever cap on Sargent, I have seen it on a Winchester plane. Considering how those are supposed to be rare (according to a friend, non woodworker, gun collector), I didn't figure it would be one of those.