PDA

View Full Version : Elm Bowl

James Aguanno
03-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Hello everyone...

If you follow the construction forum, you know that I am just getting started in a new shop. It has been quite a while since I had some real turning time, so I decided to force it (put some other things on hold). The result is this bowl made from elm, I believe...

I rough turned two blanks from the same log about a year ago, and decided to finish them this weekend. I completely finished the first one and the other just needs some final sanding and a coat or two of oil.

Here is one of the rough bowls mounted on the lathe:

I returned the tennon before mounting.

here it is ready for sand paper.

And here is the first one finished.

The mushrooms are another project that I did real quick with my two daughters and their friends. I just cut up four maple branches and quickly turned the mushrooms. Then set them up in the grass with some paint. They had a great time, and I did as well.

Thanks for looking, and comments are welcome.

Dennis Peacock
03-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Beautiful bowl James and I really like the mushrooms and the special paint job on them. :)

TYLER WOOD
03-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Beautiful bowl. I am really starting to like and appreciate elm. I turned a platter out of it that I posted a while back. Started a nice bowl that I hope to finish in a couple of weeks. Nice job on the finish.

Jim Becker
03-12-2007, 11:22 AM
A very nice way to break in the new shop, James!!

Steve Schlumpf
03-12-2007, 2:36 PM
Beautiful bowl James! Love the color! Great to see kids getting involved in projects!

Glenn Hodges
03-12-2007, 3:06 PM
Beautiful bowl and kids, thanks for posting your pictures.

Bernie Weishapl
03-12-2007, 3:34 PM
Beautiful bowl and beautiful kids James. Mushrooms look good. Nice job.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-12-2007, 9:12 PM
Nice elm bowl there James and a great pic of the anual FTOA meeting. (Future Turners of America):) :D