PDA

View Full Version : Re-bevel a granite counter in place

jeremy levine
03-12-2007, 8:36 AM
Can my bathroom granite counter be re-beveled in place of must if be removed. I will hire a pro, I just want to know ?

A hunk of junk (name brand) medicine cabinet mirror fell out (while the house was empty) and chipped the front of the countertop ( and the cabinet).

Belinda Barfield
03-12-2007, 9:21 AM
Jeremy,

I am a partner in a stone countertop fabrication facility. Will the entire edge need to be reshaped and polished, or could you live with a repair of the chipped area? In theory it could be edged and polished in place - difficult if it is a wall to wall, or captured on one end - but the procedure would be pretty messy. To shape the edge a pro would either have to dry grind which kicks up a lot of stone dust, or wet grind, which basically makes mud. Same for finish polish. A pro will attempt to contain any dust to the best of his/her ability, but it is virtually impossible to contain all of it. As you may know, granite dust contains silica and you don't want that floating all around your house.

IMHO you should remove the countertop if possible and take it to a stone facility for repair, or have a pro remove it for you and take it in for repair. Either way, it probably won't be cheap.

Jim Becker
03-12-2007, 9:43 AM
Without knowing the real details on this, I'd still have to opt for removal and repairs in the stone facility. This is very, very messy work...

jeremy levine
03-12-2007, 9:49 AM
I'll post a picture soon, it is a small chip but almost dead center. I guess it could be filled an smothed.
I'll also post the POS mounts that caused it.

Belinda Barfield
03-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Filled and smoothed could definitely be done on site.