PDA

View Full Version : I guess the customer is always right...(pics)

Dan Smith
12-16-2003, 10:05 AM
Here are pictures of the blanket chest / bench that I made for a collegue at work. It was to be for his girlfriend, so she picked out how it was to be finished.

This is the point I would have stopped, after spraying the shellac

http://wreck-finder.com/WoodWorking/jeffsbench1.jpg

But this the the paint (ick) that she actually picked out and supplied:

http://wreck-finder.com/WoodWorking/jeffsbench2.jpg

Basically a flat off white, which I guess goes with all of here decor, but would not have been my choice.

well, thanks for looking

-dan

Don Abele
12-16-2003, 10:11 AM
Dan, beautiful bench. Tis always a shame to cover beautiful wood with paint (IMHO). But, as you said, the customer is always right. :D

Be well,

Doc

Bill Grumbine
12-16-2003, 10:14 AM
Hi Dan

Nice job on the bench, and I don't think there is anything wrong with painting (some) wood. Now, if they had painted some real nice walnut or cherry, that would be a different story. And, yes, the customer is always right, at least on issues like this one. One of the biggest things that people appreciate about my work is that when I am building for them, it is what they want, and not what someone else thinks they should have.

Bill

Jeff Watson
12-16-2003, 10:36 AM
Unfortunately that is the style that a lot of people like. Blame it partly on trading spaces and shows like that. It is much easier and quicker to paint a piece then to strip and re-do the finish. My wife gets catalogs from Pottery Barn and places like that and almost all of the furniture in them is painted. I would guess that the profit margins are higher on these pieces from what I can see, because they sure as heck are not cheap.

Dan Smith
12-16-2003, 10:44 AM
I agree that this is a "style". Originally the customer wanted it "painted but antiqued" which I gave multiple samples of what I felt was very appealing (and challenging) shellac -> paint-> rubbed glaze -> poly, but she did not like the "gloss" that the satin poly gave. So she picked out the paint herself, and I sprayed it on. She is very happy with the piece, and I am awaiting a picture of it place in her entry way.

On profits on a painted piece, yes there is more, as I would have never used the utility ply on a piece that would be finished bright, so I could used a less expensive material for the same final apperance.

-dan

Chris Padilla
12-16-2003, 11:09 AM
Dan,

Forgive the "newbie" finishing question but am I reading correctly that you put shellac on first and then paint? I think I am a fair woodworker but my finishing skills are terrible. There are just so many things out there: shellacs, varnishes, oil-based this, latex-that, stains, dyes, sealers. I have no idea what does what and what is compatiable with what.

However, I am here to learn so what was the purpose of the shellac? Is it used as a sealer to allow the chest to be painted more "smoothly?" Should I assume the paint was oil-based?

BTW, sharp looking chest. Obviously you knew it would be painted and so chose your materials accordingly so it looks clean painted. I recently redid our small 1/2 bath in the house and built the vanity from Home Depot's birch ply and squirted Crytalac's white paint on it. Turned out very nice...my wife, too, gets those Pottery Barn sales mags all the time. She has several projects for me to build from them! :D

Chris

Jason Roehl
12-16-2003, 11:17 AM
Forgive the "newbie" finishing question but am I reading correctly that you put shellac on first and then paint? I think I am a fair woodworker but my finishing skills are terrible. There are just so many things out there: shellacs, varnishes, oil-based this, latex-that, stains, dyes, sealers. I have no idea what does what and what is compatiable with what.

However, I am here to learn so what was the purpose of the shellac? Is it used as a sealer to allow the chest to be painted more "smoothly?" Should I assume the paint was oil-based?

Chris,

Shellac works very well as a sealer due to its quick-dry, alcohol-based nature. I'm guessing that the paint used was latex, otherwise the shellac would have been unnecessary. When you put latex (or any other water-base/borne material) on bare wood, it has a tendency to raise the grain, which then needs to be sanded off. A non-waterbased sealer beforehand helps eliminate this step. In this case, a white-pigmented shellac (like Zinsser's B-I-N) would have worked well.

However, I'm with Dan on the paint--flat was a goofy choice. It'll have black marks all over it in no time if it sees any use.

Dan Smith
12-16-2003, 12:41 PM
Jason was correct, the purpose of the shellac was basically a primer for the latex paint. The shellac is easy to apply (spray) and dries fast. Basically it seals the grain and the knots (bleed) so the paint will not raise the grain.

I also agree that it will get pretty beat up pretty quickly, but maybe she thinks that makes it look "antiqued".

Well what ever the case, she was very happy, so I am happy.

d

Mike Cutler
12-16-2003, 3:21 PM
Don't feel too bad. Urban legend has it, that Barbara Streisand had an original Stickley Sidebord painted white on the set of one of her movies. She later went on to become a very influential collector of Stickley furniture. You are right tho' that the customer is always right. It is still a nice piece no matter what the external appearance.

Gord Graff
12-16-2003, 5:08 PM
Hello Dan,

I prefer the shellac finish myself but I must say that I've painted a number of pieces. To me, it all boils down to "put the money on the table and I'll give you exactly what you want".

I know it seems like a sad statement but it comes down to my kids get a decent education or they don't, the decesion is easy but not always comfortable to live with.

All the best
Gord

Bert Johansen
12-16-2003, 6:19 PM
Dan,

I like the bench very much--nice job and a great design. When I look at the two pictures I find the painted piece accents the design rather than the grain of the wood. Not a bad thing--just different, and I like it. As to the flat white, well time will tell . . .

Bert

Steve Jenkins
12-16-2003, 6:43 PM
Nice looking. If it helps any, I decided a long time ago that I don't need to like everything I make I just make it the best I can. Steve

John Scarpa
12-16-2003, 6:43 PM
I had to chime in here. The LOML loves the painted furniture thing as evidenced by what's inside our house. She has received numerous comments on how well she has decorated the house with this "look".

I think the bench turned out great. I remember an article I read about (lacquer I think) a sealer coat being sprayed over latex to prevent it from getting marked up. And it will get marked up. Been there done that!

I do agree with Bill Grumbine on not wanting to see cherry or maple, etc. painted. Although I read an article recently in Fine Woodworking about a garden gate that was made out of mahogany to resist decay and then..... you guessed it.. it was painted white.

Chris Padilla
12-16-2003, 7:55 PM
Chris,
Shellac works very well as a sealer due to its quick-dry, alcohol-based nature. I'm guessing that the paint used was latex, otherwise the shellac would have been unnecessary. When you put latex (or any other water-base/borne material) on bare wood, it has a tendency to raise the grain, which then needs to be sanded off. A non-waterbased sealer beforehand helps eliminate this step. In this case, a white-pigmented shellac (like Zinsser's B-I-N) would have worked well.

Ah...I'll have to remember that for my next project. The Crystalac worked well and I raised the grain beforehand and sanded but it didn't come out as "plastically" looking as I would have liked (i.e. very smooth and even). Perhaps I needed more layers or perhaps I should have sealed it with shellac...the white-pigmented would have been just the ticket.

Cool...thanks for the info.

Chris

Dominic Greco
12-17-2003, 7:43 AM
Dan,
I feel your pain! I think it looked nice in it's "natural state". But I guess that the customer has a valid reason for wanting it white. And who are we to question it?

Then again,...if this was made from some highly figured maple I think I'd say something like this to the customer, "Are you out of your mind!!" :>)