PDA

View Full Version : Where did you buy your PM2K?

Tim Donovan
03-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Help. I need online sources for a 5HP 1PH 230V PM2000 with 50" rip cap. and 36" extension table with router lift. Woodcraft snubbed me when I asked for a 10% off deal if I also bought a router and DC today. Left a note for the manager to call to see if he wants to do me a solid for a big sale. I really like to deal local, but the internet is here to stay and if they want to compete then they need to take care of us, right?
So where did you PM2K owners buy yours? Internet? Catalog? Help me with some sources so I can spend the $$$$ Or should I just buy another boat?? (#3) :D

Regards
Tim

Tim Wagner
03-12-2007, 7:09 AM
thats strange. i just ordered one from them and they took 10% straight away, without asking.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=53715

Jason Richer
03-12-2007, 7:46 AM
Very nice company to do business with.
They are in CT.
You did not mention your location.

Jim Becker
03-12-2007, 8:54 AM
Tim(s)--

The vast majority of Woodcraft stores are franchises and their pricing policies are their own, outside of a few things like Festool. Margins are already low, so some may not be willing to "deal" on certain items or the local market for a product may be hot and they already know they can get full price on a regular basis. (I'm not defending them...'just trying to explain why they might not be interested in a deal that cuts their already tight margins closer)

Paul Johnstone
03-12-2007, 9:58 AM
Help. I need online sources for a 5HP 1PH 230V PM2000 with 50" rip cap. and 36" extension table with router lift. Woodcraft snubbed me when I asked for a 10% off deal if I also bought a router and DC today. Left a note for the manager to call to see if he wants to do me a solid for a big sale. I really like to deal local, but the internet is here to stay and if they want to compete then they need to take care of us, right?
So where did you PM2K owners buy yours? Internet? Catalog? Help me with some sources so I can spend the $$$$ Or should I just buy another boat?? (#3) :D

Regards
Tim

I said this on another thread, but I will repeat this. Woodcraft and other stores can have that special 10% off sale one day a year because the manufacturers agree to subsidize the discount. I know someone that runs a woodworking store franchise (not a Woodcraft though). His store doesn't make a 10% margin on the big iron.

So, basically, you are asking Woodcraft to sell you the saw at a loss by asking for 10% off.. They really don't have much wiggle room.

Mitchell Garnett
03-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Western Tool in Woodinville, WA near where I lived had a price that was nearly identical to the on-line prices I was finding last summer when I bought my PM2K. In June, the store told me they'd have a "sales tax" sale in early July so I waited a few more weeks and got almost 9% off that price.

Delivery from the store to my shop was my problem, however. But I have a friend with a big truck with a hydraulic lift so even that worked out fine.

I buy a lot through the internet but something major like a cabinet saw I prefer local.