PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Buff Question ...

David Rive
03-11-2007, 10:40 PM
I just bought a set of Beall 4" bowl buffs, and have found that they have a 3/8" thread mount. How do you mount them to a lathe? Is there such a thing as a #2 MT that accepts a threaded fitting? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Dave I had a 1725 rpm motor around so I got the adaptor, put a light switch on it and use the buffs that way. Then I don't tie up a lathe.

Neal Addy
03-11-2007, 10:51 PM
To mount them on a lathe you need the Morse taper adaptor. He offers a #1 or #2 for $8.95.

See here: http://www.bealltool.com/products/buffing/bowlbuffs.php

Dale Gregory
03-11-2007, 11:35 PM
David, I just bought the Beall buff system (3- 8" buffs) that came with the buff quick change adapter and 3 grades of buffing compound (tripoli, white diamond, and canuba wax). You can buy both the buff adapter and MT mount for the lathe separately. I also read somewhere that some folks use an adjustable bowl chuck to hold the adapter on instead of the MT mount.

Dale

Jason Anders
03-12-2007, 12:48 AM
I was just in a similar situation. I bought the 3" buff set from Woodchips site and thought they would come with the buff adapter but its sold separately (though it did come with the MT adapter). I bought the WoodNThings 8" buff adapter from Don Pencil. Its also available as the long buffing adapter from CraftSupplies or Packard Woodworks. You buy the adapter that fits your lathe spindle size and works with buffs, wheels, and other devices. I didnt have money for a dedicated buffer and nothing lying around so this works for me.

Lee DeRaud
03-12-2007, 1:55 AM
I just bought a set of Beall 4" bowl buffs, and have found that they have a 3/8" thread mount. How do you mount them to a lathe?It's 5/16" thread, actually. And yes, they fit the WoodNThings adapters nicely.

Jim Becker
03-12-2007, 9:21 AM
Just remember, with the Morse Taper adapter you MUST use a draw-bolt through the spindle to secure the whole assembly to the lathe. Don't even think about buffing without this in place.

David Rive
03-12-2007, 4:23 PM
Thanks everybody.