PDA

View Full Version : Finally Finished My First Project in 20 yrs.!

Don Bullock
03-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Well, I finally finished my first woodworking project since I started working with wood after more than twenty years away from it. Even though I'd done quite a bit of woodworking before I quit, this project had several firsts for me:

#1 - first time I used a router or router table
#2 - first time I used the Miller dowel system
#3 - first project for my Forrrest WWII saw blade
#4 - first time I ever used Forstner drill bits
#5 - first time I used a SCMS (or any power miter saw for that matter)

It was also the first project for my bench top drill press, my 14" band saw (although it's role was very minor), my new SCMS and Titlebond III glue.

Oh, the project --- a trophy base out of cherry for our basset hound club's show. The extra space on the front is for the plaques of dogs that win the trophy. it's a perpetual trophy that will be used every year at the show. Here are a couple of pictures

It was a lot of fun to finally make sawdust once more. I'm already well into my next project and have several more scheduled.:D

John Timberlake
03-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Great job, Don. Hopefully the first of many projects.

Craig D Peltier
03-11-2007, 11:38 PM
Now you got the kinks out you feel alot more confident.Nice job.

Lori Kleinberg
03-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Very nice. Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.

John Miliunas
03-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Feels good, don't it? Great job on the travelers trophy, Don! Can't wait to see more projects coming out of your shop! :) :cool:

Jim Becker
03-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Ok! One done...on to the next!! (Nice work... :) )

Paul Johnstone
03-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Let's hope the next project doesn't take as long.. Wow, I thought I was a procrastinator. ;)

Don Bullock
03-13-2007, 7:43 AM
Thank you for all the comments and encouragement. If the information and help I've received already from all of you here at the "Creek" had been available twenty years ago, I might have kept up more with my woodworking over the years. At the time I stopped doing much woodworking I just didn't have the time, money or space. While I'm still short on money and space my pending retirement will offer me some more time than I've had. If we make the move we are planning, I'll have more space too. As for money, I don't think that there is ever enough. I'm really looking forward to creating a lot more sawdust and I'm having a blast!

Craig, it does feel nice to get the "kinks" out and I do have a lot more confidence after getting this one done. :D

Paul, no, the next project won't take that long. I'm already working on it.;)

Jim, your comments and encouragement here on the forums and warm welcome have been very helpful. I'm on to the next project and several others.:D

Mike Heaney
03-15-2007, 9:59 PM
Don,

Great to see the fruits of your labors. I remember you as one of the first people to welcome me to this site- and I'd like to thank you for your original support- you made me feel welcome. Your post reminded me that I hadn't actually thanked you properly.

all the best

Mike

Don Bullock
03-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Thank you Mike. I'm fairly new here myself. It's a great site, but I've found that the people here are even better. It's a supportative group and I'm proud to be considered a part of them. I hope your jointer is still working out for you.

glenn bradley
03-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Beautiful job. Welcome back to the hobby. I sure have a lot of fun with it.

Mike Heaney
03-16-2007, 3:13 PM
Don,

Last I saw of my jointer, it was performing sweetly- I've been on a business/ pleasure trip for the past 2 weeks so haven't been in my shop! Supposed to be on my way home today, but it seems that the folks who run the weather decided to keep me in Florida for another day!

Hopefully will finish (and post!) some pics of the entry table I have been working on in a week or two.

take care all- especially those trying to travel in the NE!

Mike