PDA

View Full Version : Radial Arm Saw Dust Collection

Jules Dominguez
03-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Redmond sells a device called a Radial Saw Connector which was described to me as shaped something like a catchers mitt, which attaches to the saw, rotates with the arm for miter cuts, and has a bottom outlet for connection to a dust collector. It has a Delta number, DL 50-291, but I wasn't able to find it on Delta's site.
Does anyone have experience with one of these?

Ken Milhinch
03-11-2007, 11:44 PM
The Google search facility is a wonderful thing.:rolleyes:

http://www.absolutehome.com/home/improvements/51676-Delta-Machinery-Radial-Arm-Saw-Dust-Collector-Connector--50-291.html

Al Killian
03-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Jules, For $70, I would make one myself and pocket the difference. Me I use a old tv back and hook a 5" line to it and it catches all the chips and dust. Plus it is free.;) :D

Jules Dominguez
03-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Hey, Ken you're talking to a guy who got his mechanical engineering degree in 1960 when engineers were still using slide rules. We switched to pocket calculators sometime between 1970 and 1978, and I'm still not what you'd call a high-tec guy, so my Googling is pretty basic. Thanks for the info. I won't even tell you the price Redmond quoted. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and hope it was a typo.

Thanks, Al, I thought about making one, but thought I'd see what was commercially available first. I doubt I'd ever have thought of the tv gig on my own, though, on my best day.

Mike Holbrook
03-13-2007, 12:54 AM
Jules,
I have used tin duct work for a dust collector on a few of my tools. I have read where others at SC were able to make some nice devices using it. HD or Lowes has a pretty good selection of sizes and shapes, one might work. You might want to fold the edges over or put duct tape on them, they can be sharp.

Or, you could get rid of that antique and get a Festool saw since you are in a saw buying mode. Add a CT22 Vac and many of your other dust collection problems would get corrected. I know you explained to me that old GP engineers can breath a 50% saw dust/25% dirt/25% air mix but at least the shop would look neater.