PDA

View Full Version : Finally some photos to post.

Dale Gregory
03-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Being a newby, I'm somewhat tentitive in posting my work, but here it goes. I'm not the best with the camera either. A few I've completed so far.
1. Walnut confetti thingy
2. Mostly sapwood walnut small bowl/semi beginner hf front & bottom
3. Knittynoddy for my wife's yarn spinning hobby, curley maple & bocate

Two more to follow on the next post.

Any feedback is appreciated,
Dale

Dale Gregory
03-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Here are the two bowls.

1. Small 5" bowl - friend who gave it to me said it was 100 year old sinker elm? Top & bottom. Danish oil/poly.

2. Large 10-1/4" bowl, Ohio Buckeye, the club president of our local tristate guild gave me this piece of wood with my 1st intro to turning lesson back in early December. He showed me how to rough out the bowl using green wood (and actually let me turn a bit on his Powermatic while he watched and corrected). Good choice of wood since he is from Ohio! I finished it last week on my Rikon (glad I didn't screw it up, gulp!). Might be a little too thin, ended up 1/4" after sanding....any comments on what thickness a bowl this size should be? It only weighs 190g. Danish Oil/Beall buffed (more new equipment...oh yes!...the vortex wins another battle).

Thanks for looking!
Dale

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Why would you be tenative Dale. I wish my first turnings looked that good. I didn't post anything for the first month. You did good sir. Nice job. As far as thinness of the sides I have taken them down to 1/8". That is about as thin as I want to take them.

John Timberlake
03-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Great project. I especially like the knitty knotty.

Dale Gregory
03-11-2007, 11:24 PM
Thanks Bernie for the encouragement, I've screwed up my share in the last two months! Had one bouncing like a basketball, had one wack me in the face shield pretty good when it exploded during a catch. All yes, I almost forgot the cherry bowl that became a poor excuse for a funnel when I ventured too deep in the side wall. And man have I generated bags and bags of shavings and fire starter material. Having a blast!

Dale

Steve Schlumpf
03-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Dale - great looking turings - specially like your bowls! Great form, wood and finish!

Hard to put your stuff out there fof all to see when you first start out but it is the only way to get input about what you can do to improve. Nothing wrong with anything you posted - looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Curt Fuller
03-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Those are all nice looking pieces Dale. I've gotta say that's the first time I've ever heard of a Knittynoddy but it looks like a pretty cool thing. What's it used for?

Also, the elm sinker wood, is that something they pull up from the bottom of a lake or river? I've got a thing for turning old wood and would be interested in knowing more about that.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Dale Gregory
03-11-2007, 11:58 PM
[quote=Curt Fuller]Those are all nice looking pieces Dale. I've gotta say that's the first time I've ever heard of a Knittynoddy but it looks like a pretty cool thing. What's it used for?

Curt, my wife spins yarn for knitting from types of sheep, long hair rabbits, alpaca and other animals. She then winds it onto the thing I made before plying multiple strands. Then she dyes the yarn and either uses it or sells it to other knitters. There is a big demand for hand spun, hand dyed yarns both for knitters and rug hookers.

Also, the elm sinker wood, is that something they pull up from the bottom of a lake or river? I've got a thing for turning old wood and would be interested in knowing more about that.

One of the members of the club I joined gave me a piece of this wood, said it came out of a lake. It was in a slab form when I got it, so I didn't get to see the bark if there was any. It sprayed water everywhere when I initially turned it. Sorry, but I don't know anything else about it. If I run into him at the meeting this weekend, I ask more details.

Thanks for the comments, Dale

Mike Brow
03-11-2007, 11:59 PM
:) Wow! I'm also a "newbie", but I haven't produced anything so nice as those bowls. Very nice work.
Mike

Bob Hallowell
03-12-2007, 12:03 AM
Dale, Looks like your off to a great start. They all look great!

Bob

Brett Baldwin
03-12-2007, 1:40 AM
Sounds like you've hooked up with some good guys in that club. Your work definitely isn't anything to be hesistant about. Nice pieces Dale.

Neal Addy
03-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Man, that's some nice stuff! Your bowls are great.

I like the knitnoddy, too. I'll have to look into that since LOML is big into knitting.

Keith Burns
03-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Dale, you are definately off to a great start. Nice looking stuff all the way around !!:) :)

Tom Sherman
03-12-2007, 4:17 PM
I have to agree with the others Dale, nothing to be tentative about with those turnings. Nice work keep em coming.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-12-2007, 9:08 PM
Dale great stuff! I really like the bowl. The light sapwood threw me for a minute when you said walnut. Real nice form.:)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Dale....Great first works! Keep turnng and posting!

Jonathon Spafford
03-13-2007, 12:12 AM
WOW!!! Don't know why you wouldn't want us to see these! They look awesome. I wouldn't guess that these were turned by someone new to turning... looks quite good to me!