PDA

View Full Version : Opportunicus Gloaticus

Gary Herrmann
03-11-2007, 8:03 PM
We took the dogs for a walk a few hours ago. My wife had noticed some very large trunk sections that were cut down up the street. We spotted the curl right away. I went back and cut off a trunk section 2 ft in diameter and about 2 ft long. There are two sections still on the ground 5 ft in diameter and 5-6 ft long. I need to figure out how to cut those up with an 18" bar. Or maybe I'll rent a big chainsaw.

Also got a holly branch about 6 ft long. Largest diameter is about 5.5". If the tree has to come down, I'll go back. The trunk is 12-15" in diameter.

Not very good pics and the figure is somewhat obscured by my bad cuts and the anchorseal. When I asked the owner for permission, he said no problem. "I think it was a Red Maple." If so, that makes this hard, curly ambrosia maple.

I think I need to walk the dogs more often...

Doug M Jones
03-11-2007, 8:11 PM
Gary,
Great find. We had major ice storms in Iowa a couple of weeks ago and I spent the afternoon cutting up smaller limbs from a maple tree into turning size pieces. Nothing as pretty as you but since I just got the lathe last Friday, cheap practice wood is OK. Wood as pretty as that ought to pay for chainsaw rental ... go to it and show some pics of the finishe projects.

John Hart
03-11-2007, 9:14 PM
woo Hoo!
Rock-n-Roll Gary!!:)

John Hart
03-11-2007, 9:15 PM
Hmmm...Wonder if you're on the list now.:eek:

Gary Herrmann
03-11-2007, 9:29 PM
What list is that, John?

Jim Becker
03-11-2007, 9:42 PM
Gloatus Biggus!!!

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Gary if I found that kind of wood, I would be taking to dogs out every day. Nice gloat.

Steve Schlumpf
03-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Wow Gary - Beautiful wood! Can't wait to see what you turn out of it!!

John Miliunas
03-12-2007, 10:39 AM
...And now his dogs are wondering why their owner grabs the chainsaw instead of the "Frisbee" when they're going for walks! :D Nice score, Gary! :) :cool:

Dick Strauss
03-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Gary,
It looks like you scored some nice ambrosia maple there!

You can cut the big chunks with your saw but it will take lots of work. Here's how:

You can to do what I call stair-stepped slabbing. You start by crosscutting as deep as you can into the side of the log. This first crosscut should be about a bars+chains length from the end. You should also make additional crosscuts another bars length down the length of the log from the previous cut until you reach the end of the log.

Then you cut in ripping mode (parallel with the length of the log) from the sawn end toward the crosscut you just made. This first ripping cut should be made so that your cut is as deep as crosscut. Once you've ripped the first piece completed away, you then make a second cut between the first and second crosscuts. This one should be as deep as you can go without hitting your saw but will probably be 4" less thick than the first slab. Once you've removed that hunk, you step your way down the log where each successive slab is a little thinner than the last. You can do this from both ends to help make it easier.

Once this first stepping down the log is done, you extend the existing crosscuts as deep as you can and repeat the process.

I once cut up a 5' (dia) x 10" high willow this way. It took me the better part of a day to slab it into reasonably sized pieces with my 16" chainsaw.

Good luck,
Dick

Keith Burns
03-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Oh, yeah Gary, you're on my list now !! :eek: Great haul !

List is getting longer and longer.............................