PDA

View Full Version : Self propelled lawnmower recommendation?

Tony Sade
03-11-2007, 6:37 PM
Spring is in the air, my teenage all-around beast of burden is off to college and isn't coming home for the summer, and I'm too old and deteriorating too fast to want to handle our heavy Craftsman lawnmower over our hilly yard.

I'm looking for a self-propelled mulching mower (that also comes with a bag) that's as light as possible. For a long time I've thought my next mower would be a Honda product, but I have this dim recollection (the only kind I seem to have anymore) of reading that some Hondas weren't all they used to be cracked up to be.

I won't say price is no object, but I don't mind spending a fair amount if it gets me what I'm looking for, saves wear and tear on what's left of me and doesn't involve having to find a neighborhood kid who doesn't mind putting down his Play Station long enough to earn some spending money.

Any suggestions? Any lawnmower forums I can cruise?

Thanks.

Roy McQuay
03-11-2007, 6:44 PM
I was just reading an article in Popular Mechanics about them. Their recommendation for value was Husqvarna. I have an MTD with a Honda engine myself. Except for being hard to start at the beginning of each season, it serves me well as a trim mower. It is about 10 years old now and I have never done routine maintenance except check oil. Still has the original plug. Maybe that's what makes it hard to start the first time each year.

Terry Kelly
03-11-2007, 7:16 PM
I have a Toro with the cast Aluminum deck had for 2 seasons, this going to be the third. It's nice and light weight, starts every time first pull doesn't even make a full pull and it's going. it has personal pace it's their version of power assist. It's an all around awesome mower. With the Aluminum deck it'll last my life time.

Nancy Laird
03-11-2007, 8:16 PM
Two words - Lawn Boy! We have had one since 1983 and it's still going strong!

Nancy

Von Bickley
03-11-2007, 8:26 PM
"Snapper" has a good reputation and has been around for a long time.

Ken Garlock
03-11-2007, 8:49 PM
"Snapper" has a good reputation and has been around for a long time.

I agree. Our first Snapper lasted about 20 years, and two engines. When it finally gave out, I bought another Snapper. This one is the Ninja model with a 7 hp B&S engine. It had to be electric start per SWMBO, and that restricted it to the BS engine. The alternative was a Yamaha pull start. The Ninja has a double cutting blade that really does a good job mulching up the grass. It also has a collection bag in case you have lawn police. The only problem I see is that the BS engine drinks gas like there is no tomorrow.

Or you could buy a couple sheep.:rolleyes:

Thomas Canfield
03-11-2007, 10:44 PM
You should take a look at the Club Cadet mower with the Honda engine. I bought the model last year that has the swivel front wheels (can also be locked). It has a vairable speed drive by hand control which means it usually is used at tme max walking speed which is fairly brisk. It is about $400 at Tractor Supply. The swivel front wheels make turning very easy since you are not needing to raise the mower front wheels to turn. It started first pull after I put in oil and gas and has been a pleasure to use. I used the grass catcher to pick up some of the leaves and detache the yard, but normally mulch. The grass catcher works well. There is also an electric start Kawasaki model listed that has multiple speeds, but I don't have any knowledge of that model.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-12-2007, 1:19 PM
A used Ransommes, Scagg, or Exmark commercial would be nice. I have an older rider Scagg (the one with the little engine) and a run-behind Ransomes. I really like both.

Exmark makes smaller mowers too. They have a 21" and a 26" mower
>http://www.exmark.com/walk.htm<

Al Wasser
03-12-2007, 1:29 PM
I also have the Toro personal pace. Love it. It's into the 7th yr. No problems. If you want to walk fast you can and if you want walk slow you can. I am not a fan of the self propelled that have one pace --- fast.

Scott Brihn
03-12-2007, 3:06 PM
Hello Tony,

I bought a Honda self propelled from a local dealer about 5 seasons ago (the model # escapes me). It was a little pricey but has performed well. It has approximately 350 hours on it and other than a busted transmission cable I have done only routine maintenance. I bag our one acre lot and like the fact that on this model the engine doesn't shut off every time you stop to empty the bag. Our lot is also hilly and I find the rear drive sufficient even when the bag is near full. The other reason I went with this model is the bag fits inside a paper "yard waste" bag when emptying. At the time this was the only model/brand I looked at where this was possible.

When we bought our house the previous owners included a one-year old Craftsman self propelled mower in the deal. This mower lasted us 1.5 seasons before the transmission broke (right before a major family party). The drive train was never very strong so I sold it to the repair shop for $50.

Stan Mijal
03-12-2007, 4:22 PM
Tony,
Another Honda vote here. Honda has two levles of mowers, those you see at HD and th elike, and those that would be considered "professional" models. The latter are expensive, but have cast aluminum decks, and the tried and true Honda build quality.
Personally we have two, one that was purchased in 1982 and has cut 1/3 acre (bagged and collected leaves from over 20 large trees) every year without fail. The only repairs have been 1) a new set of points (yep, points-its that old) They were ok but after 20 years, I replaced them before parts availability might become a problem) and 2) a front adjuster/axle assembly that the wife broke running it into the corner of the shed!
The other we use for the front area of the property. Its a 1995 with auto trans and mulching ability.
Both have been excellent--start on first time (3rd or fourth pull after winter storage)
You pay more in the beginning, but cost averaging over the lifespan, they are a bargain.

John Schumer
03-12-2007, 9:31 PM
Honda from a Honda Power Eqpt. Dealer not HD
I have 3, best mowers i've used
John

David Wilson
03-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Tony

have you thought about buying a goat?

Rob Russell
03-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Last year I bought a Bunton 48" hydro deck mower on ebay. I had the local dealer put mulching blades and a mulching kit on it (baffles and block off plates). I can now trim tight on either side. With the full hydro, it's a full power reverse, none of the "knock the lever with your knee" stuff. Works great. I can do our yard in about 20-25 minutes now and it doesn't matter if the grass is damp. This past fall I mulched the leaves down - only bagged once with the old mower.

Bill Lewis
03-13-2007, 6:17 AM
I'm looking for a self-propelled mulching mower (that also comes with a bag)Actually a good mulching mower shouldn't even need a bag, ever. I bought a Toro Super-Recycler several years ago and it does a fantastic job of grinding up the clippings. So much so that it almost looks like it was bagged. That being said, there actually is a bag chute on the deck, but I've never used it (no bag). I only bought this mower for trim work, it was always too small to do our yard(s).

Glenn Clabo
03-13-2007, 6:53 AM
Honda from a dealer...I gave the old one away after 11 years so I could buy the new self propelled. I use gas additive on the advice of the Honda mechanic...and never drain the tank. It's been 4 years on the new one so it's a total of 15 years of starts first pull...even after winter layover. Biggest advantage...mulches everything. I never have to rake.