PDA

View Full Version : Tryin' on my shorts!

Bill Grumbine
03-11-2007, 6:12 PM
Greetings all

Despite the nice weather of the past two days, it is still frozen up here in PA. But, I am trying on my shorts and other summer gear because I am on my way to F.L.A.! Yes, on Friday I get to show the friendly people who work for the TSA at Philadelphia International Airport my turning tools and other implements of mass destruction (if you are a tree). I am on my way to Pensacola to do a demo for the really friendly folks in the panhandle. Then, I get to spend a couple of days with our oldest daughter who lives about 75 miles east of Pensacola, before heading to Tampa, where I just might end up frolicking with the coeds on the beach for spring break. Then, I have two days of demo and workshop in the Tampa area before flying home, hoping that all the snow is gone by the time I return.

If anyone here is in one of the clubs where I will be demonstrating, please come up and identify yourself. I will look forward to seeing some of you there!

Bill

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2007, 7:05 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun Bill. I am watching for sometime when you will be out west here close enough I could drive in.

Mike Brow
03-11-2007, 7:17 PM
Hello Bill,
I am new here but I read your posting and wanted to reply. I am a member of the San Diego Woodturners and I am not sure if you will be comming here or not.I would be interested in seeing your presentation on turning as I am interested in all aspects of turning. I will check with our scheduler. Nice to meet you.
Mike Brow

Joe Tonich
03-11-2007, 7:55 PM
Greetings all

Despite the nice weather of the past two days, it is still frozen up here in PA. But, I am trying on my shorts and other summer gear because I am on my way to F.L.A.! Yes, on Friday I get to show the friendly people who work for the TSA at Philadelphia International Airport my turning tools and other implements of mass destruction (if you are a tree). I am on my way to Pensacola to do a demo for the really friendly folks in the panhandle. Then, I get to spend a couple of days with our oldest daughter who lives about 75 miles east of Pensacola, before heading to Tampa, where I just might end up frolicking with the coeds on the beach for spring break. Then, I have two days of demo and workshop in the Tampa area before flying home, hoping that all the snow is gone by the time I return.

If anyone here is in one of the clubs where I will be demonstrating, please come up and identify yourself. I will look forward to seeing some of you there!

Bill

Bill.......bein built somewhat the same as you.......think I can safely say........Either of us frolicking on the beach in shorts might be frolicking on a (suddenly) empty beach. :eek: ;) :p

Have fun guy, enjoy the demo'ing AND the warmth. Been a looonnnng winter!

Nancy Laird
03-11-2007, 8:15 PM
Bill, I envy you Florida in March. Nicest time of the year to be there, and the strawberries should be just right!

Mike, welcome to the Creek! It's a nice place, just wade right in.

Nancy

John Shuk
03-11-2007, 9:04 PM
Sounds great Bill,
I'm headed down to Marathon in the keys for a week on March 24. Can you say "Chomping at the bit"?

Mark Pruitt
03-12-2007, 8:50 AM
...on Friday I get to show the friendly people who work for the TSA at Philadelphia International Airport my turning tools and other implements of mass destruction (if you are a tree).
Bill, you bring up something I've never considered. How do you get turning tools through TSA? Do you have to check them? I couldn't imagine those guys "passing" something like a bowl gouge even though in reality it would hardly be a threatening device.

Bill Grumbine
03-12-2007, 9:06 AM
Good morning all

I don't think for a minute that the TSA is going to let me take my bowl gouge on the plane except in checked luggage. I'm not even going to try. I have had enough experience with the government mentality that it is not even worth trying to reason with people. They have a script, they follow it, and they will not deviate. Anything that causes them to devitate is going to mean hassle and troubles for me, not them. If I get into an argument, or even a polite discussion, they are being paid for the time we are standing there, while I am wasting mine.

Mike, welcome to the Creek. This will be my first plane ride on a commercial plane since 1979. If all goes well, I will be prepared to fly again. If not, the chances of seeing me in San Diego are a lot slimmer than I am. Hopefully all will go well though, and I will then be prepared to travel about demonstrating for whoever is willing to pay to have me carted about. :p

Bill

Jim Becker
03-12-2007, 9:19 AM
Bill, you'll be fine on the plane and your tools will be fine in the hold...you're correct, they are not going to be allowed in the cabin unless you could convince them that they are knitting needles...:rolleyes: And there is always the FedEX/UPS/DHL option.

Enjoy your travel!

Bill Grumbine
03-12-2007, 9:38 AM
Bill.......bein built somewhat the same as you.......think I can safely say........Either of us frolicking on the beach in shorts might be frolicking on a (suddenly) empty beach. :eek: ;) :p

Have fun guy, enjoy the demo'ing AND the warmth. Been a looonnnng winter!

Joe, I mentioned on another forum that the last time I was swimming at the beach, a large group of animal lovers came along and kept trying to throw me back! :D I don't know if I will actually make the beach, but I did last October. Our daughter took us down to see the bay near Destin. It was extremely windy, and look what happened to me!

http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/feetwet.jpg

Our next stop was the shoe store for some sandals, since I had neglected to bring mine along. :mad:

Bill

John Timberlake
03-12-2007, 9:50 AM
Bill, I envy you Florida in March. Nicest time of the year to be there, and the strawberries should be just right!

Mike, welcome to the Creek! It's a nice place, just wade right in.

Nancy

I am headed to FL in couple of weeks to wedding of our friends son. Talked to them yesterday and they had been to the strawberry festival near Tampa. But then they have to put up with all the hot weather in the summer.

Joe Tonich
03-12-2007, 9:51 AM
Joe, I mentioned on another forum that the last time I was swimming at the beach, a large group of animal lovers came along and kept trying to throw me back! :D I don't know if I will actually make the beach, but I did last October. Our daughter took us down to see the bay near Destin. It was extremely windy, and look what happened to me!

http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/feetwet.jpg

Our next stop was the shoe store for some sandals, since I had neglected to bring mine along. :mad:

Bill

Sorta skeered to ask.....but........WHY do you have a bat stuck on your Belfrey??? :confused: ;) :p

Bill Grumbine
03-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Boy, it looks that way doesn't it Joe? I am clutching the strap from the camera bag in my hand, which blends in with my solar panel in the picture. There is actually nothing in the bag, since SWMBO has the camera for this pic, but I was reacting to being potentially washed out to sea! :eek:

Bill

Glenn Hodges
03-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Hey Bill come by the house. I am almost between Pensacola and Tampa. I wanted to repay your hospitality.

Kurt Forbes
03-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Will be there on saturday and the Sunday session.
Been looking forward to it for months now.

Bill Grumbine
03-15-2007, 5:04 PM
Hi Glenn

I would love to take you up on your offer, and discuss some more history, etc, but the week is stuffed full already. This is my second trip down this way now, although last time I was either to the west or the north of you. Perhaps there will be a #3 that will work out.

Bill

Doug Collins
03-15-2007, 5:16 PM
At least the animal lovers on the beach tried to throw you back. They just poked at me with a stick and said "Eeewww"!

Bill Wyko
03-15-2007, 6:51 PM
Weeeeellllllll it's 88 degrees here in the Old Pueblo (tucson Az) and it ain't gonna get much cooler. Were runnin the A/C, Swamp coolers and fans. "But it's a dry heat:cool: ":eek:

David Walser
03-15-2007, 9:04 PM
Weeeeellllllll it's 88 degrees here in the Old Pueblo (tucson Az) and it ain't gonna get much cooler. Were runnin the A/C, Swamp coolers and fans. "But it's a dry heat:cool: ":eek:

Not long ago, we were ribbing those who live in snow country. We're not supposed to remind them that it gets a tad warm, around here! Keep it quiet...:)