PDA

View Full Version : Double gloat

Jack Ganssle
03-11-2007, 3:49 PM
Just wrote #1 son's final college tuition check, so I decided to celebrate by spending more money! The Rigid planer and jointer complement my Rigid TS3650.

The jointer has a cheesy 90 degree stop adjustment, but otherwise does a great job.

The planer just tears through wood. Using a normal shop vacuum there's nearly no dust that gets uncollected (other than when I forget to turn the vac on). But the vac sure fills quickly; some sort of cyclone is next.

Thanks to you Creekers for all of the discussion of these sorts of machines, which taught me a lot in terms of what to look for. With a narrow, steep staircase to the shop size and weight were first priorities.

The planer's cutter head lock was another important aspect. In use if I don't lock the head there's pronounced snipe. Locked, there's none.

Jack

J.R. Rutter
03-11-2007, 3:52 PM
Congrats on all accounts. Now you've got the machine basics covered for flat work. Enjoy!

glenn bradley
03-11-2007, 5:04 PM
Well done. The ability to turn your material into flat, square stock opens all kinds of doors in material selcetion. You can now select the portion of the board (grain pattern, direction, etc.) and machine the piece you need out of it.

Roy McQuay
03-11-2007, 5:18 PM
Congratulations on the final tuition AND the new tools. One of my very favorite things is planing rough sawn figured wood and seeing what's hiding from me.

Tim Malyszko
03-11-2007, 5:21 PM
From experience, if you do not have a dust collector, I suggest taking the 4" DC port off the jointer and let the chips fall to the ground. I had major problems with the chute clogging when the port was attached.

I too found the shop vac works well on the planer but did not work well at all with the jointer. Once I upgraded to a DC, chip messes became non-existant.

Nice purchases!!! Enjoy.

Ron Fritz
03-11-2007, 6:21 PM
Congratulations Jack. I have both of these Rigid units as well and am very satisfied with them. Unless you like a lot of wood chips spread throughout the shop, you definitely need to get them hooked up to a dust collector. I have mine on a 4" line and it works fine. Ron