PDA

View Full Version : Comedian Richard Jeni is dead

Fred Voorhees
03-11-2007, 3:38 PM
I know that this has nothing to do with our forums. I just thought that I would pass it along. I have enjoyed his comedy routines in the past. It's a shame.

Richard Jeni Dead: Comedian Found Shot, Self Inflicted?
By Jack Ryan
Mar 10, 2007

Richard Jeni, one of Comedy Central's Top 100 Comedians of All Time, is dead. According to police, Jeni was found dead presumably from a self-inflicted gunshot wound on Saturday, March 10, 2007. A loaded gun was reportedly found next to his body.

His website, richardjeni.com, has gone dark (except for a grayed-out logo) and the story is still developing. More information will be made available when we hear it. SHECKYmagazine.com (who claims to have broke the story first) & Extra are also reporting the death.

The word being whispered -- among more than one party close to the deceased -- throughout the comedy grapevine is that Richard Jeni simply chose to end his life.

Jeni was in his West Hollywood, CA apartment. He had reportedly been scheduled to perform at the Chicago Improv last night, but cancelled several weeks ago.

It is said that he chose to take his life because he was ill. We could speculate, but out of respect for Richard and his family we will not.

Autopsy results are expected soon. We will offer further information as it becomes available.

Richard Jeni was an American stand-up comedian. He was raised in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, New York.

Jeni first received recognition through a series of Showtime stand-up specials and frequent appearances on The Tonight Show.

HBO brass noticed Jeni's talent, and he was soon picked up for his first appearance on the coveted HBO Comedy Hour in 1992, entitled Richard Jeni: Platypus Man. The show received critical acclaim, and Jeni would return for two more shows.

Bruce Page
03-11-2007, 4:45 PM
That's too bad, I thought he was hilarious.
The Hollywood life can be a pressure cooker in todays world.

John Shuk
03-11-2007, 9:14 PM
I could be wrong about this but I think there was some cancer in his story at some point.

jeremy levine
03-12-2007, 8:29 AM
I also thought he was hilarious, really a shame.