PDA

View Full Version : Is an inshave the best tool for the job?

Joe Unni
03-11-2007, 2:23 PM
Hey all,

I'm still working that padauk/maple coffee table and I'm at the spot where I need to smooth the inside of the coopered legs. It works out that I need to remove about 1/2" of material from the center of each stave. I've tried my lame excuse for a jack plane (sears special) - I was able to remove material, but of course it's flat. I've tried my LV LA spokeshave (great tool by the way), but I don't have clearance for the handles. I've tried an 50 grit sanding belt fasted to a lengthwise curved block of wood - VERY slow progress. The best so far is a Stanley Surform with the convex blade. It works pretty well, but still kind of slow going. Then I thought of an inshave. I've no experience with them so I'm wondering if using one would fit the bill. Woodcraft has a couple for between $60 - $70.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-joe

Mark Singer
03-11-2007, 3:09 PM
If its coopered the grain is probably reversing....I don't know the radius ...??? so I would use a small sander like my 2" Grex if its small...a gooseneck scraper.....a larger ROS sander ....or a angle grinder wirh 50 grit and move finer as you go....

Joe ...this may help

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14202&highlight=coopered+bath

Joe Unni
03-11-2007, 3:25 PM
...I don't know the radius ...

Each of the six, 6" coopered staves is ripped at about 7 1/2 degrees.

I did forget to mentioned that I tried a sanding disc on my 2" grinder. Unlike your Grex, it does't have a sanding pad. Maybe the Borg's Husky brand has a like attachment.

I'll do a bit of research and keep you posted.

Thanks,
-joe