PDA

View Full Version : In praise of cosmoline

Jim Thiel
03-11-2007, 1:28 PM
A few years back I was in Johnsons hardware brousing the board, looking for my next new to me tool. A fella had a 690 set, a hadful of bits, and "other things". I was just after the router but my wife wanted to tag along anyway and when we walked into the basement, there it was - a brand new not out of the stapled and banded box Jet benchtop mortiser. I got a real good deal on the router and the mortiser was almost free, who whould leave it there and besides, I might have a use for it one day.

It's been in my basement since, still stapled and banded shut until this morning. Everything look good as, well new I guess is the only word to use.

A question then. If I mount this to a baseboard and use holdfasts on my bench will I need stiches? I'd like not discovering this on my own.

Jim

Jim Becker
03-11-2007, 2:24 PM
Mounting it to a board and using the hold-fasts is actually a good idea...as long as your hold-fasts hold fast! :)

Doug Shepard
03-11-2007, 3:16 PM
How about putting a apron under the baseboard and clamping the whole affair into the workbench vise?

Jim Thiel
03-11-2007, 4:32 PM
Mounting it to a board and using the hold-fasts is actually a good idea...as long as your hold-fasts hold fast! :)

I've used this method with good success on other tools, but none of them require me to grab a handle and pull forward/down.

"Man taken to the hospital while wife laughs" ...."I told him to be careful, she chuckled the the reporters..."

Jim

Jim DeLaney
03-11-2007, 4:34 PM
I mount mine to the bench by using two long bolts down through the dog holes, with wing nuts and fender washers. Been using it that way for about ten years, with no problems.