PDA

View Full Version : My first real Neanderthal Tool Gloat

Tim Malyszko
03-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Yesterday, I took a class on Finishing at my local Woodcraft Store with David Marks. The last topic he went over was preparing a Stanley #80 Cabinet Scraper.

Well, I've been looking at buying one for some time, so I ended up buying the one that David Marks set up. I know owning a #80 Cabinet Scraper is not a big deal, but this is my very first plane/scraper that has actually been set up correctly and I'm excited because I can say that I have a tool in my shop personally set up by David Marks.

I wanted to get a picture with him, but David took time out of his lunch break to show the class how to properly prep and set up a #80 scraper, so I didn't want to take up any more of his time. I'm sure he would have been more than willing to do so, but I was starving and I'm sure he was also.

The picture shows an edge glued cherry panel I glued up a few days ago and then surfaced using my new cabinet scraper - I LOVE CURLS!!!:D

On a side note, if you have a chance to take a class with David Marks, by all means take advantage of it. He is one of the most down to earth, courteous people I've met and a fantastic instructor.

Ryan Cathey
03-11-2007, 1:03 PM
Awesome Gloat!!! David Marks is probably my favorite modern woodworker. Kind of an off topic question but does he really have tatoos on his arms? It sucks that his contract with DIY wasn't renewed. Oh yeah btw you suck!!! lol

-Ryan C.

Clint Jones
03-11-2007, 1:05 PM
Good for you! Scrapers are the most unerestimated hand tool. Once you learn how to properly sharpen your scrapers you will never look back. I find myself reaching for my card scrapers more and more now. Nice score!

Tim Malyszko
03-11-2007, 1:50 PM
Awesome Gloat!!! David Marks is probably my favorite modern woodworker. Kind of an off topic question but does he really have tatoos on his arms? It sucks that his contract with DIY wasn't renewed. Oh yeah btw you suck!!! lol

He does have a tattoo of what appears to be a hawk perched on a limb on his right forearm - it's rather faded.

Before the class, David talked a bit about the show and he said there were a number of reasons for quitting the show, but it sounded like the biggest reason was the money - he used his own tools, wood, shop, etc. and the show had no sponsors, so it was costing him a lot out of pocket to do the show. In addition, he mentioned he gets no royalities and was hesitant giving up any more "trade secrets" since they weren't really willing to give on their side on things. Furthermore, he said his 1st season producer told him that his time on the show was just a way to fill time between commercials.

Overall the class was a fantastic experience and he does a great job explaining things. He admits to not being a great businessman, but thats a good thing because you can see his passion for what he does come out during his class.

Ryan Cathey
03-11-2007, 2:39 PM
By the way other people talked in a thread I read a while back about it he was covered in tatoos and DIY gave him the shaft. I like the truth better.

-Ryan C

Josh Puckett
03-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Not to get too off topic, but I've only recently started watching his shows on DIY...just a beginner myself. Everytime I watched the show, I wondered how in the hell he could stand doing his craft in a long-sleeve button-up. I guess I now know.

John Miliunas
03-12-2007, 10:43 AM
By the way other people talked in a thread I read a while back about it he was covered in tatoos and DIY gave him the shaft. I like the truth better.

-Ryan C

Well, he's NOT "covered in tatoo's". :D By everything I gathered from him during two days of classes with David, he truly did get the shaft from DIY, though! :mad:

The man is truly an artisan and master of his craft. Not to mention, one heckuva' teacher! He enjoys what he does and it shows. :) :cool:

Jerry Palmer
03-12-2007, 12:30 PM
For the longest time I felt that he seemed condescending on the show, then a buddy managed to make it to one of his presentations at the local Woodcraft. He said that David was real down to earth in person and was, in fact, somewhat shy and came off the way he did because of nervousness more than anything else.

It really sucks about the show and it sounds like they were really giving him the shaft.

Eric Wong
03-12-2007, 9:28 PM
Sweet! Curls rock!

Its nice to know the truth about his show...and I've heard he's a very nice guy.

Howie French
03-12-2007, 10:54 PM
nice curls !

Being in the market for a stanley 80 scraper, are the vintage scrapers
better ,worse or same as the newer 80's ?

Howie

Scott A. Reynolds
03-13-2007, 7:03 AM
Collectors of old planes have told me that the older Stanley #80 scrapers are better constructed than the new ones and the blades are made of better steel. I own a newer one and have found it invaluable for prepping figured woods.

Lee Valley makes their version of the #80. It has a larger sole and better blade than the new #80's. Anybody own one?

Pat Keefe
03-15-2007, 2:21 PM
I own the Veritas version of the "80" and it handles Australian hardwoods, especially figured. Easy to set up and use straight out of the box.

Jerry Olexa
03-15-2007, 4:33 PM
What a shame!!!! modern society and greed win again...David IMHO is a class down to earth guy who probably didn't adjust to the politics or creed of the advertisers. a big waste of a great talent....I'm saddened...

Howie French
03-15-2007, 9:21 PM
do most of you use the 80 cabinet scraper with a bevel, or sharpened as you
would a card scraper ?

Howie

Tim Malyszko
03-16-2007, 8:32 AM
do most of you use the 80 cabinet scraper with a bevel, or sharpened as you
would a card scraper ?

Howie

The scraper that David sharpened for me has a bevel on it.

Pat Zabrocki
03-16-2007, 8:38 PM
So you were the lucky guy getting the tune up! I was at the same class and then the dovetail class the next day.

David is just amazingly talented and regulat guy at the same time. His conversational style makes you feel like your just hangin' out. I can't wait til he comes back.

cheers
Pat