PDA

View Full Version : DJ30 Jointer powered - 3phase to VFD coversion write up and video

Mike Heidrick
03-11-2007, 3:27 AM
First off - Special thanks to Rich Andrews for helping me through this work over the last couple of days. His emails and phone conversations really taught me a lot. He definately made me feel comfortable about 3-phase and VFDs!

So, today was jointer electronics day.

I bought the FM50 VFD from Factorymation.
I also used the guts from a Rockler Router Table Switch.
Also bought a power cord and plug.

I made a note of all the wiring and drew a diagram of everything original first off.

I then unwired the switch, motor, and power receptical lead from the three phase starter.

Then I took out the 3-phase starter.

I also took out the 3-phase momentary switch at the start/stop switch above the jointer.

Next I installed the switch internals from the router switch into the start/stop switch as I needed full a contact switch instead of the jointers original momentary contact switch. I wired up two leads of that new switch. No power goes to this switch at all - it is just used to jumper a pair of terminals on the VFD.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/IMG_3440.jpg

Back under the jointer I took the plate that held the starter out and drilled it to accept the FM50. I then screwed the FM50 to the plate.

I took the FM50/plate to the jointer and wired in two input power conductors from the receptical to L1 and L2 on the FM50.

I then wired in the three phase motor leads to T1, T2, and T3 on the FM50.

I then wired in the two leads used in the above power switch and installed them in terminals 3 and 5 on the FM50.

Next I connected up the grounds from the FM50, Motor, and receptical.

Then I bolted the plate with the wired FM50, back into its mounting space inside under the jointer.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/IMG_3438.jpg

At the receptical (rear of the jointer) I wired in a 10 gauge three conductor cord to L1 and L2 and the ground. I then installed a plug on the other end of the power cord.

At this point I made sure the cover was back on the power receptical. Then I plugged in the machine. This powered up the VFD

It flashed 05 once it was powered up. Raise this number to 60 wich is full speed.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/IMG_3439.jpg

Then using the arrows access F01 and set it to 03 - this powers the machine up in 3 seconds.

I left F02 at 05 which shutdowns the motor in 5 seconds.

I then accessed F10 and set it to 1 which allows the VFD to use the power switch I set up.

I then set F23 to 1 so that when power goes out and then back on within two seconds (power goes out out here sometimes because of weather) the FM50 shuts down the jointer and does power up the machine once power is returned.

After that I was ready for full test power.

Check out the results.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/th_MVI_3443.jpg

Click here for a VIDEO of the jointer running!! (http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/?action=view&current=MVI_3443.flv)

Hope you liked the write up and video. Forgive the music as I jam the radio in the shop. Should not have left those grips on the safety cover either. I moved the cover so you could see the blades. Leave the cover over the blades at all times if you can.

Mike Heidrick

David Wambolt
03-11-2007, 3:54 AM
Nice job Mike. Glad to see you got it all set up.

Mike Heidrick
03-11-2007, 4:01 AM
Nice job Mike. Glad to see you got it all set up.

And thanks to Dave too - his Bandsaw project made this jointer 3phase to VFD idea seem like a great idea.

Dave, let me now if you want to work more on getting your swicth to work besides whats on the VFD.

J.R. Rutter
03-11-2007, 4:44 AM
Nice job! I used to work with VFCs running mixer motors. Deluxe way to run WW equipment as well. That will be a sweet jointer for you.

Dave Bureau
03-11-2007, 8:49 AM
do you think that set up will run a planer with 2 motors. 1, 7.5 hp for the head and 1, 5 hp for the drive. other than getting a larger vfd. I know nothing about these.
Dave

Mike Heidrick
03-11-2007, 10:35 AM
do you think that set up will run a planer with 2 motors. 1, 7.5 hp for the head and 1, 5 hp for the drive. other than getting a larger vfd. I know nothing about these.
Dave

Dave, 3hp is about the max you can get that still has single phase 230V input and 3phase output. After that they are 3 phase in and out.

You need a rotary phase converter. Get yourself a 10 hp one and you will be completely done. It will run both motors at full speed perfectly and can even run another as well if you get say a 3phase DC.

R.P.C.Man at practicalmachinist dot com I believe sells them and is a HUGE resource about them. He can help you size it.

Good luck.

Jim Becker
03-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Nice work, Mike. This is a real nice way to deal with the 3-phase situation without a lot of outboard stuff!

You may want to put a small sloped shoud over the VFD in the jointer base to insure any stray chips "keep going" over time.

Mike Heidrick
03-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Nice work, Mike. This is a real nice way to deal with the 3-phase situation without a lot of outboard stuff!

You may want to put a small sloped shoud over the VFD in the jointer base to insure any stray chips "keep going" over time.

Good Idea. Thanks!