PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Washer Recommendations

John Hulett
03-11-2007, 1:33 AM
Last Christmas, my mom bought me a pressure washer she bought off of QVC. Electric, under powered Karcher. The third time I used it, the hose busted.

I have a couple of projects I want to do this summer where I'll need a pressure washer to get things going. I'd like to replace this washer with one significantly more substantial. With my previous experience with Karcher, I'm hesitant on going with one of thiers, though they're everywhere; BORG's, Sams Club, etc. and with Honda motors. Sears carries PW's with Briggs and Stratton motors. I have a B&S motor on my edger, and I'm pretty happy with that - still fires up pretty easily.

I'd like to pick up something ~3000 psi, > 2.5GPM, ~ $500. The ability to have a tank for injected detergents is apealing. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
John

Jason Roehl
03-11-2007, 8:24 AM
Rent.

Seriously, unless you spend upwards of about $1200 or so, you're not likely to get a unit that lasts very long. There seem to be 2 grades of pump on the market. Those that last for a few uses ("consumer-grade") and the near-constant-use pro grades. Even those eventually have to be rebuilt/replaced. The engines usually far outlast the pumps.

Oops. I see you're talking electric--no experience here with those, but I'm sure the pump is still one of the weak links.

Ken Garlock
03-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Hi John.

A couple years ago I bought a pressure washer from the Small Engine Warehouse (http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/ProductList.asp?Category=Pressure+Washer). The brand name on it is Devilbiss, and it has a 6.5 hp Honda industrial engine. It seems to be a solidly built product, but I must admit that I don't use it all that often. Give them a look, you might find something you like.

John Hulett
03-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Oops. I see you're talking electric--no experience here with those, but I'm sure the pump is still one of the weak links.

I don't want electric... It was a piece of junk!

- John

Peter Lyon
03-11-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm pretty much with Jason on this one -- focus on the pump and general hardware and not the motor. I'm presently on my 2nd unit, which is on its 5th year. My situation is that during the dry months (July, August, September :D ) I'm a part time painter, so I use my machine approximately 20 - 25x per year for extended periods of time (2 -4 hours each). This is probably a lot more then the average home owner and a lot less then someone like Jason - a full time professional painter.

My first machine was locally built and has a B.S. motor which still runs fairly well even to this day. The problem I've had is that all the screws, levers, etc. pretty much corroded away and had to be replaced and the pump severely lost its pressure. I've had it (the pump) rebuilt but with only limited success. I still keep this machine around for those times when neighbors and friends want to borrow a pressure washer. ;)

My second machine has a CAT brand pump and a Honda motor and so far (knock on wood) still operates as well as the day I purchased it.

One last suggestion is to focus on the gallons per minute rating and not the hp of the motor. I suspect that these are a bit like routers in the way that they're measured is open to interpretation.

John Hulett
03-11-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm a part time painter..... lot less then someone like Jason - a full time professional painter.

Painters, huh? Well maybe I'm in luck. One of the previously mentioned projects is to repaint my pattio cover. It's a lattice style (one direction), free standing cover. Two actually; each are 12'x12', connected in the middle. I'm REALLY not looking forward to the job. How would a pro approach this job? I have access to an airless sprayer, and of course, I could brush/roll it on. Either way, I don't want to do it, but can't afford to pay a pro. What do you suggest.

(is it acceptable to hijack one's own thread?:confused: )

- John

Peter Lyon
03-11-2007, 6:24 PM
John,

It sounds like it might be easier to simply brush it. Spraying lattice is always tricky in terms of controlling overspray not to mention how inefficient it can be. You didn't state what the lattice is made of -- if its rough or textured (e.g. like cedar siding) it would need to be backbrushed or rolled anyway.

Just my $.02.

Brad Schmid
03-11-2007, 10:36 PM
I have 2, but this is the one I use the most and it seems to be in the price range you're looking at:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200241324_200241324

Has Honda GX motor and Comet pump with ceramic plungers. Does a good job. I use it for cleaning the RV, cleaning the cement driveway/walks, washing the brick on my house, cars, etc. I like the pump because you can dial down the pressure without putting backpressure on the pump itself (ie. bypass). I also have a Honda GX motor on my generator, and neither one has ever given me a problem. They both have fuel shutoffs and I always run them out of gas so the carbs don't gum up when not in use. Good Luck.

Matt Meiser
03-11-2007, 11:06 PM
I have one from Home Depot with a B&S engine which we've had about 3 years now. I don't use it a lot--maybe 10 times per year, usually to clean the tractor and UTV. It starts easy, works well, and wasn't badly priced. Its probably not an issue in SoCal, but I make sure to run the pump lube/antifreeze through it when I'm finished with it in the fall. Also, on the less expensive ones, the screw-together connectors are a pain. A set of quick-release fittings was a good investment.

Jim Bell
03-13-2007, 12:56 AM
When purchasing a pressure cleaner the higher the gpm rating the more efficient the machine. 4 gpm is good and anything in excess of 1000#s pressure w/ the 4 gpm will clean fast and easy.

Russ Filtz
03-13-2007, 7:18 AM
I second Brad on the Northern tool one. Been eying it for several months. Seems to have a good combo of engine and pump.

Jason Roehl
03-13-2007, 9:45 AM
When purchasing a pressure cleaner the higher the gpm rating the more efficient the machine. 4 gpm is good and anything in excess of 1000#s pressure w/ the 4 gpm will clean fast and easy.

That depends on what you are cleaning, Jim. In "the biz", most of us won't buy one that doesn't put out at least 3000 psi. Guys who use them all the time (we don't) will often spend the big bucks and get a heated model that can handle 3500 or even 4000psi. For just general cleaning, though, based on my experience, anything less than about 2500psi goes agonizingly slow.

Oh, a "turbo tip" is highly recommended, too. It's basically a 0 degree tip that oscillates in some fashion (circle, box, line are available to my knowledge) fast enough that you aren't cutting into the material you're washing. Very effective.