PDA

View Full Version : HVLP or Brush on Woodwork

Peter Pedisich
03-10-2007, 11:24 PM
Hi,

I'm building a desk out of poplar and I plan to paint the top and cabinets and clear poly the BB ply drawers.

I'd rather spray the cabinet finish (Sherwin Williams Pro Classic Latex Enamel) but funds are a bit limited...

Are these low cost hvlp sprayers worth the $100-200 price tag or should I just continue brushing projects until I've saved enough for a quality hvlp system.

The low cost sprayers are:
WAGNER FINESPRAY FS2400

Campbell Hausfeld HV2000

Thanks in advance!

Pete

Jim Young
03-10-2007, 11:42 PM
I've found that buying cheep or sub-level desired tools always lead to remorse. Evertime I bought a tool that wasn't quite what I wanted I had been annoyed at every little think. At the slightest hint of low performance you will get mad at yourself for buying the lesser tool. If your brushing quality is acceptable then I would wait.

Joe Chritz
03-11-2007, 3:25 AM
This will most likely get moved to the finish forum but...

If you plan on spraying latex or enamel a HVLP won't work great but it will work with a larger tip. Airless is the way to go for paints.

A devilbiss finishline is around a hundred bucks and if you have a compressor of any size is the best way to go for clear coats.

Joe

Carroll Courtney
03-11-2007, 7:58 AM
I had that sprayer,and it just would not put on a smooth finish.It was alright,but not smooth.As the other post said airless is the way to go.Get a time that has a small fan spread and will spray the latex say a .313.Save the money and don't waste it on subpar.Been down that same road.Check your local paper, Craigs List,the dreaded Pon Shops(be careful).You could also use the canster type sprayer but you will have to use oil base paint so you could thin it enought to spray.I have the Campbell Housefield brand.I do like the SW's paint!When you get to the point and you had enought, buy the 395 nova for S&W very good sprayer.After several yrs messing w/ this back and forth,that when I purchase the 395. Set up an account and get the discount,they are flexable on price.HD has sprayers that are alot cheaper and will do the same thing.Good Luck

Jim Becker
03-11-2007, 10:42 AM
According to the folks who originally brought up ProClassic, it brushes out beautifully. It can also be sprayed with HVLP with slight thinning (no more than 10%). Rather than a cheap self-contained HVLP system, consider a conversion gun that will work off a reasonable compressor you may already own or have access to. I use the Wagner, ($129 - review on my site) but there are a number of choices "out there".

BTW, don't put oil-based poly on those drawers...stick with water borne or use shellac.

Peter Pedisich
03-11-2007, 7:40 PM
Thanks everyone!

I think I'll look into the conversion gun or wait for more funds...

Jim, I only have a 6 gallon compressor - will a conversion gun need much more? And yes, was gonna use polycrylic but maybe shellac will give a nicer tone, thanks.

Pete

Joe Chritz
03-11-2007, 8:32 PM
A 6 gallon tank is small. The CFM output is the really important part of the compressor. It would probably work in short spray cycles.

I run my gun on a 5 HP (Peak so its a lot smaller in reality) compressor and a 20 gallon tank. Another few gallons in the air lines and as long as I don't spray no stop it keeps up OK.

I had to stop and let it catch up a couple times when I was spraying a bank of cabinet doors but that was a lot of doors at once.

Joe

Peter Pedisich
03-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks Joe, its a small hot dog shaped Bostitch, guess I'll be gettin' some practice with a paintbrush soon.

Thanks,

Pete

Sammy Shuford
03-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Peter,
I also have the wagner http://www.gleempaint.com/hvcongunnew.html, and have sprayed latex several time with thining. (borg paint)
I just bought some of the same paint, and SW said thin with flotrol.

Brian Triplett
03-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Peter,

I have the gun Jim was talking about using a P/C twin hotdog compressor, it does fine, it fact I just finished my wive's desk using S-W Pro Classic. It did fine, would a big compressor work better probably but it did the job.

Brian

Peter Pedisich
03-13-2007, 11:17 PM
WOW, thanks guys. This has been VERY informative to me but at the same time confusing.:eek:

I really like the Wagner, the Gleem site has some good info.
But the finisher where I work says "get a gravity feed for thicker paints"
But the Wagner is a siphon.:confused:

My compressor is a Bostitch 1.5hp 6 gallon 3.4cfm at 40psi and 2.7cfm at 90psi.
I would go for the Wagner if I knew my compressor would cut it.

Do you think my compressor would work with the Wagner?

Thanks!

Pete

Jim Becker
03-14-2007, 11:39 AM
The Wagner gun is pressure feed.

Howard Acheson
03-14-2007, 12:03 PM
Let me address another point. Latex is not a good choice for a desk or anything that will get hard usage. It is just too soft and not very durable. Oil based paints, particularly enamels, are very good choices and will stand up much better. There are also acrylic waterborne finishes that will stand up better than latex.