PDA

View Full Version : Russian Olive vase before and after

Curt Fuller
03-10-2007, 9:30 PM
This is the reworked version of the Russian Olive vase I posted a few days ago. I ruined the bocote collar trying to redesign it so I ended up putting it back between centers and turning the old collar off and turning a new tenon on the base. So it's reshaped some, about 1/2" shorter and now has a Wenge collar that's about 1/2 the original height.

Once again I'd like to hear your opinions.

Nancy Laird
03-10-2007, 9:46 PM
Don't know about anyone else, but I sure like it better. Nice job, Curt.

Nancy

John Hart
03-10-2007, 9:52 PM
I'm waffling. I really loved the first version....kinda hard to let go of that.:o But, your revision is striking and the original form is still there. I like them both.:)

Roy McQuay
03-10-2007, 9:52 PM
The new one is beautiful, and for me, easier on my eyes. Nice work

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Curt - that's a hard one! I seriously liked the first version even if the finial was a little busy. The revised version is so different from the first that I consider them 2 totally different turnings. I do like the second version and believe the Wenge collar highlights the grain of the vase. Nice work on both of them!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Curt..........I liked the shape of the finial on the first one but I thought the grain was so busy it detracted from the grain of the HF. I like the wenge finial and think the contrast adds to the overall beauty of the HF.

Well done Sir!

Richard Madison
03-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Ditto what Steve said. The first one was magnificent, especially the form. It wasn't broke. I voted (but didn't post) with the folks who wanted a thin layer of dark wood between the two pieces. Didn't think to post- cut a shallow groove between the two pieces and fill with black epoxy. Admire your courage to ask for comments. Sometimes better to march to your own drummer. Just a thought.

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2007, 11:16 PM
Curt that is a beauty. I like the second dark collar. Nice job.

Seth Poorman
03-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Curt
I liked the first one as much as the new one, Ill just say this, "good job on both"..........;)

Jim Becker
03-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Bingo!!!!!!!!

Bob Swenson
03-11-2007, 10:53 AM
What's not to like

Paul Andrews
03-11-2007, 11:43 AM
WOW
Kind of says it all!

Bob Hallowell
03-11-2007, 3:44 PM
Curt,
beutaful peice and the new collar looks much nicer with it.

Bob

Christopher Zona
03-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Bingo!!!!!!!!
Bingo, bingo! Nailed with the color contrast.

Jim Ketron
03-12-2007, 3:32 PM
Nice Job Curt!
I think this collar looks like it belongs there.

Keith Burns
03-12-2007, 4:42 PM
Curt, I can't pick a favorite and you can't make me. I like them both, so there !

TYLER WOOD
03-12-2007, 5:58 PM
I personally like the second one. It fits the grain better and does not make the piece busy. Although I feel the first on had better form to it, it detracted too much. Great piece one way or the other.

Curt Fuller
03-12-2007, 8:27 PM
Curt, I can't pick a favorite and you can't make me. I like them both, so there !

I wish there was a "both".

I liked the shape of the first one better, the color combination of the second one better. I guess I should learn to make the collars seperate so I could mix and match. But my technique is to turn the bottom side of the collar, glue it to the vessel, and then turn the top side. That's also why I had to shorten the vessel. This would have been a good time to have a vacuum chuck too.

Thanks to all of you for the comments.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-12-2007, 9:02 PM
Wow, I thought I posted to this and now it's gone. Oh well! Im kinda with Mr. Hart. I really liked the first one the best but the second one is nice in a different way. Overall, Great Job!:)

Jonathon Spafford
03-13-2007, 12:14 AM
THat is a hard decision! They are both so nice... I wish too that you could have kept the first one too! Hard call to make!

Alex Cam
03-13-2007, 8:28 AM
I like the new colalr much better -- nothing wrong with the old one, but for me, the two strong grains created too much movement. Very nice!

Vic Hubbard
05-11-2007, 6:35 PM
I've seen russian olive in turnings. It doesn't normally get to be a big tree.
I found a very nice size log and am wondering how well it does as lumber, before I try to haul for slabbing.

Shane Whitlock
05-11-2007, 6:51 PM
Definately like this one the best ... Sure is some beautiful wood!

They just tore out a few Russian Olives next door, theres two large root balls that I need to go grab. :D

Andrew Harkin
05-13-2007, 12:17 AM
Oooh, very nice! We have a lot of Russian Olive on my parent's place, and I love working with it. That's by far the nicest piece I've seen made from it. I like both versions, although the second lets you focus more on great grain on the HF, like someone else mentioned.

Joyce Baldauf
05-13-2007, 10:11 AM
You did an outstanding job on the HF. Love them both. Like the form better on the first but the contrast better on the second.

I was working with some dry Russian Olive from a tree that died 3 yrs ago. The rings tend to be very porous and difficult to turn smoothly. Did you use anything to stabilize the wood before you turned or during turning? Of course, this may not be a problem if the wood is green. Any advise would be appreciated.

Joyce:)

Glenn Hodges
05-13-2007, 10:18 AM
When I was a kid my mama after looking at a tie I picked out to wear with a shirt would exclaim, "You are not about to wear that tie with that shirt, it is to busy." That is why I like the 2nd one better.