PDA

View Full Version : Pen Turning: Streamline Pens

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
03-10-2007, 9:15 PM
Hi,

One of my frustrations as a pen maker has been finding a pen in the 7mm slim line category that I think suits my style of pen making. I know many people like the traditional slim line but I have not found it to my liking.

As a seller of my work I have also seen the need for a slim pen that looks just right. I think I have finally found the kit that works for me. A few weeks ago I was in the Burlington Lee Valley and I noticed a pen kit called the Streamline. I had not seen it before and I liked the look.

With a show coming in a week I bought 10 kits and decided I will see how they do.

So here is the result of today’s turning.

These are Flat Top Streamlines
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_8007.jpg

They are all stabilized box elder burls, spalted, red, black, green and brown

These are the Round Top Streamlines,
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_8009.jpg

They are a variety of colours of stabilized box elder burls and a spalted oak.

I am really happy with the size and appearance of these pens, I think they will do well

Christopher K. Hartley
03-10-2007, 9:23 PM
Jim that is a nice looking pen style and I really like what you've done. For me that spalted oak is out of this world! Great job!:)

Corey Hallagan
03-10-2007, 9:59 PM
Awesome looking pens Jim. They all look great but I agree with Chris, that spalted oak is really cool! I like those kits!

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
03-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Jim......very, very nice pens! Very nice!

Ron Raymond
03-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Very nice selection, Jim. I really like the gentle curve of the barrels. So do these kits use the same bushings as the slimline kits?

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Those are some beauties Jim. That is some nice turning.

Earl Reid
03-11-2007, 12:06 AM
Beautiful Pens Jim.
Earl

Seth Poorman
03-11-2007, 12:46 AM
Wow- I cant wait to get my lathe , All these nice things you guys are making is really getting me going..I think these are the best pens Ive seen.!!:eek:

Good Job!!

John Hart
03-11-2007, 6:46 AM
Yup...great grouping! You do really nice work.:) I have to admit, that's a good looking kit too.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
03-11-2007, 9:18 AM
Very nice selection, Jim. I really like the gentle curve of the barrels. So do these kits use the same bushings as the slimline kits?

Thanks Ron,

These kits have their own bushing sets, they are not expensive.

Thanks Guys for all your kind and supportive comments..

Jeff Moffett
03-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Jim, those are great looking pens and your photography is top notch as well. I don't think you'll have any trouble moving them at a show.