PDA

View Full Version : New Jet Mini?

Ellen Benkin
03-10-2007, 7:16 PM
Someone told me that all the recent sales on the Jet Mini were because Jet is coming out with a new model. Does anyone have any info on this?

Geoff Crimmins
03-10-2007, 7:31 PM
The 1014 and 1014VS have been replaced with new models that are essentially the same, but with a spindle lock and indexing. Both are now available most places, including Amazon. They also just released a 1220 which is not available in the VS version. Amazon doesn't have this yet, but I know some other retailers have it in stock now. Sounds like a nice lathe, but it would be even nicer with VS. Hope this helps.

--Geoff

Nancy Laird
03-10-2007, 8:25 PM
Ellen, before you buy the Jet, read this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=53702

Lots of trouble with the Jet minis, look at some of the others available, including the Steel City, Woodtek, and others. The Woodtek is currently on sale at Woodworker's Supply for $243.99, it's a 6-speed, 10" swing, 15" between centers. I have one, and it is a workhorse. If and when you order, use source code IR1C - inventory reduction sale.

Nancy

Ellen Benkin
03-11-2007, 1:25 PM
Thanks for the link on problems with the Jet mini.

The community college where I am taking a turning class has a room full of the Jet minis -- some are so old they are not evey Jet white! They have been plugging along for years, even with students beating on them, so I assume they are very stable and reliable. Maybe they've already had their electrical problems fixed!

Alfred Clem
03-12-2007, 9:14 AM
I've owned and used a Jet Mini for five years, successor to a lemon Delta larger lathe. Not once has the Jet given me the first trouble. I keep it clean, use it for bowls, platters, and pens, and make sure it is given a good going-over with my shop vac after every use and sometimes in mid-session just to keep any dust or wood bits from invading the mechanism. It has given me outstanding service.

Chris Jenkins
03-12-2007, 10:21 AM
Ellen,

From what I have seen and heard Geoff's info is correct. Their are two models, one tweaked a bit and one larger with some more gadets on it.

Don't be discouraged from the "JET Problem Thread." I feel all manufacturers have their share of bad runs and problems on the assembly lines. I had a JET mini, only got rid of it to get a bigger lathe, but nothing else was wrong with mine.

Perry Holbrook
03-12-2007, 12:55 PM
I started the thread about the motor problem with the mini. It was not my goal to complain about the lathe. Replacing a possibly defective capacitor is not a big deal, which I did the morning. I am just getting going on turning and therefore I'm pretty slow. I am backlogged with many orders that will mean when I turn, I'll probably turn most of the day. If there was a known problem with heat buildup causing capacitor problems, I just need to know so I can adjust my turning time.

I replaced the original capacitor with an oil filled one and remote mounted it. I also put a shield on the bed to help me keep the motor free of shavings and will pay more attention to keeping the fan intake clear.

I like my Jet mini. It does everything I need right now in a lathe.

Perry

Lee DeRaud
03-12-2007, 1:14 PM
Don't be discouraged from the "JET Problem Thread." I feel all manufacturers have their share of bad runs and problems on the assembly lines. I had a JET mini, only got rid of it to get a bigger lathe, but nothing else was wrong with mine.Could be as simple as a bad batch of starter caps.

The thing to remember about Jet minis is that there is a huge number of them out there. From what I've seen reading "trouble" threads here on SMC, the (newer and scarcer) Rikon has a higher failure rate, but neither have enough reported problems to be statistically significant.

(Not to mention that, because of their price and "entry-level" status, they get abused a lot by students and other newbies (DAMHIKT), and usually sail through unscathed.)

Lee DeRaud
03-12-2007, 1:21 PM
I started the thread about the motor problem with the mini. It was not my goal to complain about the lathe. Replacing a possibly defective capacitor is not a big deal, which I did the morning. I am just getting going on turning and therefore I'm pretty slow. I am backlogged with many orders that will mean when I turn, I'll probably turn most of the day. If there was a known problem with heat buildup causing capacitor problems, I just need to know so I can adjust my turning time.As it happens, I asked that very question awhile back:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41124
I don't turn "all day", but I do have the lathe running (more-or-less) continuously for several hours at a stretch: I have no doubt it gets as hot as it's going to in that amount of time. As of last week, that's over a year of (ab)use with no problems.

Jim Underwood
03-12-2007, 1:50 PM
I don't agree that there are "lots" of problems with the Jet mini either.

It's a very tough and well done mini lathe. I love mine, despite a couple problems with my first one.

Everybody and their dog has one, and for the number out there, having a few problems now and then is to be expected. I feel that if it were generally a poor quality lathe, that we'd see a LOT more problems...

Known problems with Jet mini's are:

1) Creeping tailstock. I just put up with mine, (or hit it a little harder) but someone makes an aftermarket banjo part that holds like a rock.

2) Tool rest tends to break when you get a catch. Again, folks make aftermarket rests that wouldn't break if you drove a tank over them. I haven't had any problems with mine. (And I've had some pretty bad catches.)

3) Capacitors going bad after years of service. They do get old.

As someone else said, Rikon's haven't been out there that long. If there were as many Rikons as there were Jets, I bet there'd be a different story told....

I've taken a mini all the way apart, and I'm pretty impressed with the construction. I've been tempted to buy another when the deals come up, but I would really like something bigger at some point.

John Timberlake
03-12-2007, 2:06 PM
I have always been impressed by the Jet mini durability and how smooth it runs. I looked it up on Amazon then the one (not VS) with the indexing was less that the old model.