PDA

View Full Version : Ships Wheel - Need help in determing how to mount it...

Kevin Smith
03-10-2007, 7:02 PM
I'm currently in the process of building a "Ships Wheel" for my grandson's room. It about 30" in diameter, has six spindles, and probably weights around 10 pounds. However, I've come to a complete stand-still because I'm uncertain as to how I should mount this thing.

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Reg Mitchell
03-10-2007, 7:16 PM
well it would be good to see what your going to hang it on, what it looks like, the hub. and did you put a hole in the center
Reg

John Durscher
03-10-2007, 7:51 PM
You could try a lazy suzan bearing. Lee Valley has several sizes.

Kevin Smith
03-10-2007, 8:34 PM
Reg,

The hub is a 5" hex and 2-1/4 thick and does not yet have a holed drilled through it. My expectation was to hang it on the wall with some kind of bracket. I originally thought that I would drill a 2" diameter hole in the center of the hub and suspend the wheel from that. Then comes the question... as to how does that look and how would I attach it to the wall. Do I allow the wheel to rotate or is it fixed in position?

Ben Grunow
03-10-2007, 9:33 PM
Thick stainless bolt with PVC pipe sleeve around it. You need a flat bearing surface behind so the wheel rotates true instead of wobbling. A thick board with a fender washer between the wheel and board.

If it doesnt rotate you will have to fix it after all the kids yank it off the wall trying to turn it. Trust me.

(Lets see it..pics?)

Paul Turner
03-10-2007, 9:42 PM
Reg,

Do I allow the wheel to rotate or is it fixed in position?

That might depend on the age of the grandson!

Kevin Smith
03-10-2007, 9:44 PM
He's "nearly" five!

Paul Turner
03-10-2007, 10:39 PM
At five, I'd pull the nut down tight enough that it doesn't spin freely...otherwise, he'll burn the bearings out before he's ten!

Kevin Smith
03-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Ben,

Thanks for your insights. I've now included a picture with the original post.

Al Killian
03-11-2007, 1:25 PM
I second John's idea. A lazy susuan would make mounting easy. Your ships wheel looks great, i'm sure it will get much use from your grandson.

John Schreiber
03-11-2007, 5:55 PM
I love the idea of a lazy susan bearing, if it spins it will be loved even more. To make it look as authentic as possible, I would look at using some brass tubing to make an axle sleeve for it.

Bert Johansen
03-11-2007, 6:49 PM
Kevin, I'm skeptical of the lazy suzan hardware. These aren't designed for vertical loads, and you still have the mounting question. I'd suggest you contact a bearing supplier (go online), find an inexpensive ball bearing that will press-fit on a 1-inch pipe, then mount the pipe into a stud. Use an appropriate Forstner bit and drill a hole in the back of the ships wheel for a press fit on the outer diameter of the bearing.

John Durscher
03-11-2007, 7:36 PM
I hadn't thought about the side load issue. I checked a Lee Valley one I had in the shop. It is filled with ball bearings, but it doesn't spin as freely with a side load. A little grease would probably solve that. In any case it is stout enough that I think it would handle it for quite awhile.

Another route would be to turn an axle that could be secured to a mounting plate. You could use either wax or some of that slick tape to allow it to spin, or you could use it in combination with the lazy suzan bearing that would keep it from rubbing on the mounting plate.

As far as mounting my thought would be to mount one side of the bearing to the wheel and the other side of the bearing to a mouting plate. You could mount the mounting plate to the wall with z-clips or by using a keyhole router bit.

John

John Young
03-11-2007, 8:35 PM
If you can't find an of-the-shelf solution, it would probably be best to go with something a bit more "industrial" for kids. I thick a good solution would be to use plastic flanged sleeve bearings (bushings). Get 1/2" bore x 3/4" outside diameter x 3/4" long Rulon material. For a shaft, you could use a 1/2" shoudler screw x about 2-1/4" shoulder length. Drill a 3/4" hole through the center axis of the wheel. Press one bushing in the front and one into the back. Put the shoulder screw through the bushings and it will spin like a top. For a mounting plate you could use a square 1/2" thick steel or aluminum plate. Drill four holes in the corners to mount it to a base of your choice and put a 3/8-16 tapped hole in the center to screw the shoulder screw into. Hopefully the attachment will show up below. Look on McMaster-Carr website for materials and to get some ideas.

Tyler Howell
03-11-2007, 9:59 PM
I have the real deal about 48 " in diameter. 60lbs
I lagged it through the hub right to a stud on the wall. held solid for 6 years.

Kevin Smith
03-12-2007, 2:00 AM
I thought John D's idea about using the Lazy Susan might be just the answer I was looking for. But like Burt, I too was a little skeptical as to whether or not the bearing surface would support a lateral load. I'm not really worried about it supporting the weight of the ships wheel, I'm worried about my grandson hanging on it. Not saying that he would… but I've seen some of the things that this boy does on the jungle-jim outside and would hate for him to practice these maneuvers on the ships wheel mounted in his room.

The last thing I want - is to have him get hurt while playing with something I made for his enjoyment. That being said, I feel I need something with a fairly significant safety factor built in - or revert back to a wall ornament that allows him to only envision himself as one of those salty old pirates sailing the open seas.

John D. - I went down to the local Woodcraft store this afternoon and picked up one of their 4" lazy susans and plan on mocking something up to see how your idea might work. I appreciate your input and will let you know the outcome.

John Y. - What you're suggesting sounds like a more substantial solution and might provide that safety factor that I'm looking for. I really appreciate the time you took to draw this up and to make sure I understood your proposed solution.

What do you think about taking this in a slightly different direction? What about using a threaded flange (like the one below) which can be lagged to the wall stud along with a threaded nipple (as the pivot rod) along with a threaded cap on the other end. I'm not sure how I would make this look nice - but can possibly recess the cap and hide it in some way.

Do you think that this will handle the stress that a four year old (sorry - "nearly five") will bring to bear?

Keith Outten
03-12-2007, 6:32 AM
Route keyhole hangers on the back of the wheel. Ten pounds is not a problem for two keyholes and the wheel will fit flat to the wall.

Kevin Smith
03-13-2007, 2:10 PM
Keith - Thanks for your feedback.

I agree, a couple of keyhole slots should support the weight of the wheel without any problems.

The concern has been... that given the ships wheel will be placed in my grandson's room - would he proivde more enjoyment if it was able to rotate. I believe most of the other comments were focused arournd this premise. Do you think that is a bad idea?

Barry Anderson
03-13-2007, 4:00 PM
I like Tyler's idea. You can then put a plug over the bolt on the front of the wheel. Easy to hang, bullet proof ... and it will even spin (put a bushing behind the wheel to keep it space out).

Barry in WV