PDA

View Full Version : Wooden gear clock plans

Hank Walczak
03-10-2007, 6:56 PM
Would anyone who's make one of those wooden gear clocks suggest the best place to get plans/hardware for one? I recently saw one and was really impressed with it. Thanks in advance.

Hank

Roy McQuay
03-10-2007, 7:44 PM
google Wildwoods, they sell scroll saw patterns. I am not positive but Klockit may have them also.

Hank Walczak
03-10-2007, 7:54 PM
There are quite a few places I could go to get plans or kits. I need feedback/review from someone who's made one. To complicated a project to just take a shot in the dark if you know what I mean.

Hank

Dave Lehnert
03-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Scrollsaw magazine has a set of plans in the current issue. Right on the front cover so it will be easy to spot. I found my copy at Lowes near the registers.

Rick Potter
03-11-2007, 3:43 AM
Check out Woodline, the router bit people. They just developed a kit including router templates to make the gears. All the parts needed are in the kit.

Rick Potter

Hank Walczak
03-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Rick, Dave- Have either one of you made one of these clocks?

Hank

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
03-11-2007, 9:52 PM
Check out www.scrollsaws.com/index.html

Hank Walczak
03-12-2007, 9:41 AM
I would like to thank everyone for all the suggestions. BUT...I need to hook up with someone who has actually made one... I never had any problem finding sources of plans or kits. If you have made one, please give me your thoughts on the good points & bad points of the plan or kit. Thanks.

Hank

John Terefenko
03-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Hank

Here is a site where you can get some extrodinary plans and you can talk to Jeff and he maybe able to answer your questions. http://www.wooden-gear-clocks.com/ordering.htm There are many factors in making a wooden geared clock such as cutting the gears just right, using dry woods, using proer weights to drive them, keeping the clock in the right place so moisture doesn't affect the gears. So on and so forth. I have never made one and yes they look nice but for accuracy not that reliable.

Hank Walczak
03-12-2007, 12:56 PM
John -
I've been to that site and it does seem to have a lot going for it. I don't like to call the store owner for a testamonial on his product. It's the same reason you don't ask a used car salesman if the car is a good buy!! This isn't something you can take for a test drive and that's the reason I was looking for someone who's actually made one. BTW, this may be a neat woodworking project but when I need accurate time, I use my USNO master clock link or my table clock that gets the sync right from it. Thanks for your help.

Hank

John Terefenko
03-12-2007, 5:00 PM
Hank

Not to stretch a point here but this is more of a general woodworking site and the thing you are talking about building is done one of two ways and the scrollsaw is the more logical way. The router with the use of either a laser or the Woodline system is the other. I suggest you post this question on a scrollsaw site and you will get more answers. Not sure if I can mention some but the magazine that the clock was on the cover has a specific scrolling forum. Also there are the two scrollsaw magazines that have their own web sites. Just do a google seach for scrollsaw sites and you will find many. Good luck.

Hank Walczak
03-12-2007, 11:39 PM
John - Thanks again for your input. I'll leave the thread active for a little while in case any Creeker has built one of these clocks. I'd rather get some input from here than another site where I may not have as much confidence in the members.

Chuck Nickerson
03-12-2007, 11:53 PM
I ordered and built one complete kit, all that was required was assembly (still a task). After getting it working, I then ordered a gear kit, made the rest of the parts, and got it working. This summer I hope to do a third cutting my own gears with a scrollsaw. A suprising amount of fussing can be required to get it running (4-6 hours). As near as I can tell, the kits and instructions are as good as they can be. One note: the parts are laser-cut in 1/4" plywood, with the burnt edges that implies. To get a presentation-quality clock from the full kit would require a lot of sanding and finishing.

Hank Walczak
03-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Chuck - Thanks for the input. That was the web site that I'd considered ordering from too. I was interested in the plan & material pack option. I thought I'd try to cut the gears myself and worst case, if I couldn't get close enough tolerance on them, buy the gears then. What style did you make? What did you use for the counterweights? Did the plan give any suggested finishing/staining to use? I assumed the ply was for material stability but I've seen a few with solid wood pieces too. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance for your response.

Hank